Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Marquis
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this little game. I have used it to scratch my gaming itch when it was too late to play a full euro.

I like the microgame idea, TMG, and finally there is one that does not have a heavy area-control theme (I personally find area-control tiring).

The first play I did not have the updated rules (v6) and we wondered why some cards were so expensive for their building and victory points--it was the symbols. Still, it was a close game. Without any market manipulation buildings it was pretty brutal when you lost the race to ship/build and watched your goods values plummet and have to start building inventory again.

The second play we knew what to expect and built a more balanced inventory so recovery was easier when someone rearranged the market. This game we also got market manipulation buildings, which added interest. This was the most enjoyable game.

My wife has played a few times, and she suggested we get this out and play it again. This was the third play. Unfortunately, the building set in play did not provide any stone, and only one card to get livestock--requiring stone to use. My wife's starter building did not provide either of these, so for the first half of the game she was crippled and discouraged. I had the starter building that provided a resource of my choice, which really allowed me to dominate the first half of the game.
The second building to come out was the one where everyone gives you a resource, which I immediately bought. Now she was struggling with limited good types AND having goods stolen from her, so she could not really afford to use my building to get the types she needed. Discouraged wife, and a slower game. =(
(And I can't go easy on her because she would spot it right away)

I know 3 games is not a statistical sample, and we have not played with all the cards. But I am now wondering how often it is that a player can be resource-type crippled by the random set of buildings. Is there something we are missing? Is that just expected luck of the game?

Overall, Harbour has been really fun and we are looking forward to the POD phase--even my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CannonFodder-jm wrote:
I really like this little game. I have used it to scratch my gaming itch when it was too late to play a full euro.

That makes me happy to hear - that's exactly what I was going for. Something to scratch that euro itch in a small box.

CannonFodder-jm wrote:
My wife has played a few times, and she suggested we get this out and play it again. This was the third play. Unfortunately, the building set in play did not provide any stone, and only one card to get livestock--requiring stone to use. My wife's starter building did not provide either of these, so for the first half of the game she was crippled and discouraged. I had the starter building that provided a resource of my choice, which really allowed me to dominate the first half of the game.
The second building to come out was the one where everyone gives you a resource, which I immediately bought. Now she was struggling with limited good types AND having goods stolen from her, so she could not really afford to use my building to get the types she needed. Discouraged wife, and a slower game. =(
(And I can't go easy on her because she would spot it right away)

I know 3 games is not a statistical sample, and we have not played with all the cards. But I am now wondering how often it is that a player can be resource-type crippled by the random set of buildings. Is there something we are missing? Is that just expected luck of the game?

I'd be interested to hear if you encounter this in future plays. We certainly don't want a game to go flat.

A little bit of background on what isn't in the PnP: the game is coming with a basic version of the characters. These characters all have the same starter building and no special abilities. Their starter building allows them to "Collect 2 goods, each of a different type" or "Buy a Building". (Much like how we had basic and expert versions of Kings of Air and Steam)

The expert characters are a relatively new addition, and we're planning on taking full advantage of the PnP process to iron out any final issues. Based on your feedback and a few others, we're exploring a few different versions of the expert characters that will allow players to get a specific good - but we're not quite sure how that's going to manifest quite yet. What you encountered is pretty rare - but obviously not impossible, so some sort of tweak is needed.

Stay tuned, and I'd love to hear any more thoughts if you get it to the table again.

I'm glad your enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try a starting draft for the initial buildings. You lay out x-1 extra buildings (where x is number of players) and each player in turn picks one to be in the initial pool. The ones not picked are shuffled back into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the game, but this brings up a question I have--could his wife have used his character's starting building herself to get stone? Or is the character building only for that player to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use other player's starter buildings to gain resources, yes.

But, I'll note, this review was from an older version of the game. Now starter buildings give player one of a set type, and then one of their choice.

In fact, reviews like this helped us correct this problem as we were tweaking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
You can use other player's starter buildings to gain resources, yes.

But, I'll note, this review was from an older version of the game. Now starter buildings give player one of a set type, and then one of their choice.

In fact, reviews like this helped us correct this problem as we were tweaking

Thank you for the response! The game looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.