John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Obviously, in this game Nationals are treated differently than Majors and other RRs. Trying to track the rules via the example in the Playbook, I am a bit confused. Do the cities within the National's territory need to be hit via a train the same as with the other RR types? In the example, it looks like the 5D run hits cities 1 through 4, but not city 5 unless somehow you count city 5 as the first city on the run and come via sea to city 1. I guess then the other 4+4 trains can then hit the other cities, but trying to read the rules in connection with the example left me a bit confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you worry about actual routes as you would normally, I believe you just count up your train capacity, and count the towns and cities that are connected up to the city limit. Add up the total. For the 5D you just double your best 5 cities.

I'm sure Mark will chime in with the correct interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nationals don't run routes like normal railroads. They're assumed to be able to serve any stops within their borders, up to their train capacity, provided those stops are linked to at least one other stop by rail. (With specified limitations on sea zone crossings and B&B Eng tokens.)

My paraphrase of the rules (p.37) and how they relate to the playbook example:

1) Total the national's train capacity.
In the example, with two 4+4 and a 5D, the national has a train capacity of 13 cities, five of which are doubled, and eight towns.

2) Count revenue from linked cities and towns, up to the train capacity. Remember to double as appropriate.
In the example, cities 1-5 are the highest value connected cities, so they're doubled. 6-9 are the remaining connected cities. Note that it doesn't matter whether you can construct a legal route that connects these cities; all that matters is that they're connected to at least one other revenue source.
Also, there are four linked towns in the brown triangle in the north, and another four scattered around Italy, so all eight town capacity are used.

3) If there's train capacity remaining, count unconnected cities/towns against capacity at zero revenue.
In the example, city 10 is unconnected and counts as zero.

4) If there's still train capacity remaining, count unused city capacity as revenue of $60 and town capacity as revenue of $10.
In the example, there's still 3 cities worth of train capacity, so that counts for $180.

Also, remember to attach a Pullman to the highest level train.

(Posting because I am about 90% certain I've got it right, and 10% hoping someone will tell me if and when I get it wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Nationals do not trace routes (other than to make sure a city or town is connected.) They just add up numbers, from high to low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Wan
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Correct. Nationals do not trace routes (other than to make sure a city or town is connected.) They just add up numbers, from high to low.

Well, you do not have to add them up from high to low, but then somebody will probably call you on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tucker's got it right.

The only niggle would be your 4th item. To be clear, train capacity that exceeds the number of cities/towns in the track rights zone is counted at a flat $60 per city and $10 per town.

The zone's city and town counts are printed on the charters.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.