Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Will nail polish work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anybody tried using nail polish? Will it hurt the model?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
What? No don't do it.

If you're painting, get proper paints and brushes.

If you want to seal the model for some reason, buy some varnish in a spray can.

Leave nail polish for nails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nail polish contains acetone, and that can potentially melt plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, just making sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
It will work just fine, if you want to paint your fingernails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works great for some of the Rebels who want to catch the eye of a certain someone who may or may not be her brother, but any Imperial trooper caught wearing it gets latrine duty (first offense) or is fed to an exogorth (second offense)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi I used some nail polish to remove bit of paint from my model as long as its a small amount you shoul be fine, but be carefull not to apply any to the clear stem of the model it will melt it in seconds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So i tried painting a few ships without stripping, it looked ok, but i want to strip on down. I found this online, is that a good solution for stripping? It looks like is worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpD0Sm5NXvg
Credit: Jay Adan

What do you use to strip?

Also, whats the best paint? I use acrylic paint, but it does not give the shine i want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Im a noob at painting sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be sorry! These are all good questions.

--------
STRIPPING
--------

I've used brake fluid to strip paint off a-wings and a bounty hunter. Put the brake fluid in a jar and let the model sit over night. Then take it out and use a toothbrush to scrub away the paint. It'll come off easily. If there is some left, just throw the mini back into the jar and let it sit some more.

A word or warning! Use latex gloves when working with brake fluid. It is corrosive and will irritate your hands. Also you might want to wear safety glasses when scrubbing the mini. If a little bit of brake fluid flicks up into your eye, it will not tickle.

Use warm water to rinse off the mini. I've used soap as well to get the last of the brake fluid off. Work in a garage sink, not the kitchen sink! Brake fluid is poison and you shouldn't be mixing it with where you eat.

Don't forget if you strip the model you must prime it before applying paint. Use a good quality spray paint primer.

----------
PAINTING
----------

Personally I have old Games Workshop paints but am starting to switch over Vallejo Paints. You can buy them at your local gaming store. Get a few basic colours at first. If you find you like painting and want to invest in a lot of paints then look online for sets, they will be less expensive.

I buy my sable brushes at art stores, not the hobby shops. The selection is better and usually a little bit more affordable. Plus you can buy a mixing palette there.

That is all you will need to get started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
pitsch911 wrote:
I use acrylic paint, but it does not give the shine i want.

I don't like shine, it seems so tacky and tasteless on most things. I almost exclusively use matte coat.

But you could try clear coat to see if you get the shine you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.