Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for an accessible and affordable strategy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Mason
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi. I just got into gaming recently, and I've noticed that while I enjoy strategy, I only like certain kinds of games in this genre. I'm looking for suggestions of games I would like. Anything helps. Thanks!

I'm looking for a game that is first of all, affordable and accessible. I don't want to get myself into anything majorly expensive, or so complex that nobody will want to play with me. Also, I tend to like games that give the players a good amount of options on their turn, and that require quick thinking and the predicting of opponents' moves to win. So yes, real-time games are acceptable. Another important thing to consider is that I don't really like chance, and though I do realize that it's a beneficial part of most games, I would like to minimize it if possible. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, no clue as to duration, theme, complexity, number of players or games that you do like.
Still, we have your five game collection and your top rating of those is Memoir'44, so we do have a starting point.

Imperial 2030 (or Imperial) 4-6 player, no random factors, economics game pretending to be a wargame.

Struggle of Empires 4-7 player world conquest, low random combat resolution, can play in under 3 hours.

Power Grid 3-6 player auction game, low random factor and every action affects the other players. It stops being cheap if you buy all of the expansions, just like Memoir'44.

1825 Unit 1 3-5 player share dealing game, no random factors, can be expanded to support 9 players. You'll probably rate the downtime as too high and calculating the income as too fiddly; still, in 9 player mode you'll save loads of cash compared to the number of other games needed to occupy nine people as long.
whistle

Edit please don't think I'm dismissive of your current game collection: for many years my collection was only 4.97 games (including a pack of cards and a 31piece chess set). I was commenting only on the lack of a clue as to what you liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
temujin1206 wrote:

See, there can be no better arguement for providing more information about your likes and dislikes than that Age of Steam appears to be a reasonable suggestion.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockpaper Scissors
United States
flag msg tools
Do you like worker placement games? Those are fast-moving and give players a lot of options. Lords of Waterdeep is a popular example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
temujin1206 wrote:

Excellent choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Mason
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I like 2 player games, but more players are fine. I like games with complexity in what you can do and what tactics you can use, but not so complex that it turns into a super-detailed Warhammer type of game. I'm not too picky about themes. I'm more into the mechanics. I know I'm not on a video game forum, but if anyone plays "Super Smash Bros," then they'll know what I mean when I say that I like that type of fast-paced, detailed, mind-game, highly competitive type of game, regardless of whether it's on a TV or a table. Take Dutch Blitz for example. It's super fast, and you have to be on your feet to win. That's why I loved it so much when I played it a lot in the past. I just think it could use some more focus on detail and skill. I also like quick games. Definitely nothing over 90 minutes. Does that give you a better idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that's much more helpful.

I'll skip past the three most obvious suggestions:
Chess
Go
Carcassonne

To offer:

Race for the Galaxy 1-6 players, fast, especially once everyone has played it several times, luck can ruin your day but normally only chooses your strategy.

Le Havre 1-5 players, should be fast enough with 2 players, the only randomness is the card order, which is revealed at the start of the game, and the special cards, which you can pay to look at. Le Havre: The Inland Port might be better for two but I haven't played it.

Wings of War or Wings of Glory 2-lots of players, random damage but no random moves; the only problem is cost, which is reasonable if you can find the version without the model planes.

Poseidon 2-5 players, claims to be 90 minutes with 2. A nice 18xx lite but you'd have to play fast for the 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
Ok, that's much more helpful.
Le Havre 1-5 players, should be fast enough with 2 players, the only randomness is the card order, which is revealed at the start of the game, and the special cards, which you can pay to look at. Le Havre: The Inland Port might be better for two but I haven't played it.

I'd rather suggest, by the same designer,
Ora et Labora
that in the same amount of time and with similar mechanics has no luck at all.

As another option, you might consider some of Feld's games, the most famous being:
Bora Bora
Trajan
Macao
that have:
- affordable rules
- 2 hrs playing time
- salad-point approach
- some luck, but manageable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:

Imperial 2030 (or Imperial) 4-6 player, no random factors, economics game pretending to be a wargame.

+1

Excellent suggestion. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeam841 wrote:
I'm looking for a game that is first of all, affordable . . .

What I consider affordable and you considerable affordable are likely different.

How much are you willing to spend?

I would recommend Trains, though it is not great as a 2-player game. It retails for about $60, though Amazon.com sells it for about $36 plus S&H. Would Trains be in your price range?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Mason
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Eldard wrote:
lukeam841 wrote:
I'm looking for a game that is first of all, affordable . . .

What I consider affordable and you considerable affordable are likely different.

How much are you willing to spend?

I would recommend Trains, though it is not great as a 2-player game. It retails for about $60, though Amazon.com sells it for about $36 plus S&H. Would Trains be in your price range?

I could make it work probably. I've never actually tried a deck-builder. I definitely should at some point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old man shakes cane at cloud!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go a little more real-time tactical, how about Space Alert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph A Nardi
United States
Sterling Heights
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Castles of Burgandy. It seems complex, but isn't, and plays well as a 2 player game. There are also inexpensive expansions about $5.00 each for the game like extra boards (usually a set of 5 printed double sided), and some additional tiles, usually available from the BoardGameGeek Marketplace!

And if you want a sci-fi card game reasonably priced then I suggest Race for the Galaxy.

Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is something that would truly qualify as pure strategy, but we've enjoyed Memoir '44 tremendously. It's not pure strategy because there are random elements (cards, dice) but in order to maximize the use of your assets you definitely need to think and play strategically.

There's a ton of pieces, but the manual is excellent. I find it to be highly accessible and a great 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Merrill
msg tools
Since you mentioned that you like games for their interesting mechanics, yet don't like a strong random component, Puerto Rico comes to mind:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3076/puerto-rico

It is a 3-5 player game, and is somewhat approachable to beginners, yet strategic thinking is very important to success. Offhand I'm pretty sure there is no luck, but the choices of your opponents will greatly affect what options you have on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Approachable" is the hardest one to define for me - what I find approachable, you may not, and for me, a lot of the best strategy games take a bit of work to really understand how all the rules work.

I like the Age of Steam suggestion - it's a brilliant game, and there are many interesting expansion maps. It's not particularly complicated to anybody who enjoys learning games, but it would be a disaster with a casual gamer. And it's a pretty "brutal" game in terms of doing well. Plays in about 2 hours typically.

I also really love Vanuatu Very tight integration between players, so you really have to watch what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore 2nd edition! If you like Memoir 44, it's like that, but with more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you" ― Friedrich Nietzsche
badge
“We are a way for the universe to know itself.” ― Carl Sagan
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend:

Lewis & Clark

And:

Keyflower

As far as I know, both games are affordable and available. Both games mechanics are easy to learn, yet difficult to master due to the deep strategies involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris McDermott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Postmark wrote:

Race for the Galaxy 1-6 players, fast, especially once everyone has played it several times, luck can ruin your day but normally only chooses your strategy.

Luck can indeed ruin your day in RFTG, but only if you're too stubborn to change your strategy whenever you (or your opponents) draw a card you didn't plan for.

Plus, there's loads of really cool artwork to look at if you find yourself waiting for another player to finish their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player:
2 de Mayo
Hellas
Duel In The Dark
Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal

Muli-player (some are also 2-player):
Neuroshima Hex
Condottiere
Maria/Friedrich
The Kaiser's Pirates
Pacific Typhoon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
Another endorsement for Struggle of Empires !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
It's really too bad that Ogre\GEV are not in a readily accessible and affordable format on the market other than the ludicrously (but cool) huge OGRE kickstarter box.

Especially as GEV, which tends to see 2 players using forces that are more equally sized, plays extremely well with rules that are fast and easy to comprehend as long as both players are interested at all in a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Just remembered- along the theme of light strategy wargames like Memoir 44, try the game Frontiers, by the guys that made the more current game Heroes of Normandie. Plays like a miniatures wargame, but with light and fast mechanics, and all the units are flat two-sided tokens. Visually it kinda looks like Warhammer Diskwars, with all the disks.

Also, can be had for about 10 dollars online and comes with two good sized forces.

Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke,

Realm of Heroes is the game for you! The price point is right. Strategy level is right. Ease of entry is right. Minimization of luck is right.

From the designer notes:
"I was lamenting a loss in some board game due to “poor die rolls”. I surely have lost many games due to die rolls, but I have never won a game for the same reason (ahem). Of course, the other end of the spectrum, no luck, has sometimes led to some very predictable gaming nights where I yearned for something unexpected to happen. Realm of Heroes was born from this one question: How do you create a game that is dynamic, unpredictable, and strategic without (much) luck?"

Full disclosure: I am the game designer, but your post was tailor written for the kinds of games I like and design. Realm of Heroes goes on Kickstarter on May 27.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.