Subject: Are the outpost bases too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Grant

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have played a number of games now when my opponent obtained 2 or 3 outposts in their deck early on and it did not end well for me.

What is the strategy if your opponent gets several outposts into play?

I have just tried to stock up on combat points and try to go right at them but it has not worked well. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably try to build trade and try to outpace them in the late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Interesting, because I've had the opposite experience: most bases seem to get destroyed immediately, or at most survive one round. I've even tried a strategy of loading up on outposts early in the game, and I just haven't found a way to keep them alive long enough to really be a benefit other than deflecting Combat away from my Authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
songbird wrote:
Interesting, because I've had the opposite experience: most bases seem to get destroyed immediately, or at most survive one round. I've even tried a strategy of loading up on outposts early in the game, and I just haven't found a way to keep them alive long enough to really be a benefit other than deflecting Combat away from my Authority.

That's basically their purpose to deflect some damage away from you for a turn or two. If you can get two up a good chance one will survive and you will take no damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Outposts are, at worst, worth thier printed effect plus thier printed strength in health. If the opponent cannot meet the outpost's strength then you are effectively sinking additional damage. If the outpost lasts more than one round, that is better than a standard draw effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
songbird wrote:

Me too. There are a number of cards that just let you destroy bases without even using attack. Getting bases to stick around is pretty rare in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're in a position where your bases are sticking around more than one turn, you most likely have a weak opponent and are going to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harvey
United States
Sumner
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure if I'd ever call them a sure thing but right now the people I play SR with tend to go heavy on deck thinning and draw powers.

Bases cost too much and mitigate a tough shot but tend to only last 2-4 rounds at most.

But, with the variability that's just my experience.

Perhaps my evolution in this game will lead to 4-5 outposts as a garrison but I would not expect them to last in the later snowball.

We've had snowballs leading to 35-50 points a shot with properly thinned heavy low-cost hitters.

Vicious. Love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fallenowl wrote:
So, I have played a number of games now when my opponent obtained 2 or 3 outposts in their deck early on and it did not end well for me.

What is the strategy if your opponent gets several outposts into play?

I have just tried to stock up on combat points and try to go right at them but it has not worked well. Any thoughts?

Explorer's are cheap and almost always available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.