Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Is it Worth It? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Langston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide if I want to back the Kickstarter. Sure, the add-ons look amazing and there is certainly value there, but I'm not used to paying $75 for a game (ESPECIALLY one that seems as light as Tokaido). Having said that, I LOVE Bauza games (Takenoko, 7 Wonders, Hanabi, etc.), so I have trust that I will like this one.

So, sell me one way or another... should I go ahead and shell out what I could usually spend for 2-3 games to Kickstart this one, or does the original version (around $30) offer enough value/fun that I would be better off trying that instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always try the game on Boardgamearena if you haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really isn't a question that can be answered. It's completely up to you if the game is worth it. You're paying for components in the Kickstarter version, but that being said, I am a day 1 early bird Samurai backer, so I'm in for $110 with no second guessing at all. This game is a work of art. This version is even more so. You have to determine if you're willing to spend the money. It's a light game, but wonderful in it's simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I realize that, and I've watched a few review videos to see how the gameplay works. It looks fun, but I guess my question is for those who HAVE played it... when you see what else is being offered for the Kickstarter, does it "wow!" you enough to pledge, or is it just kind of "meh"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

I realize that, and I've watched a few review videos to see how the gameplay works. It looks fun, but I guess my question is for those who HAVE played it... when you see what else is being offered for the Kickstarter, does it "wow!" you enough to pledge, or is it just kind of "meh"?

Yes. Day 1 early bird Samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For repeated play (more than, say, a dozen) I would recommend getting the Crossroads expansion as well. It adds a lot of very interesting choices and more control/strategy. And it is included in the Collector's Edition.

So in a sense you need to weigh $75 dollars against something like $50 (regular basegame + expansion).

Also: see this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
I guess my question is for those who HAVE played it... when you see what else is being offered for the Kickstarter, does it "wow!" you enough to pledge, or is it just kind of "meh"?
Definitely wows me. I am currently a Yakuza backer, as my disposable income is a bit limited, but I may very well pull the trigger and upgrade to Samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
This game is a work of art. This version is even more so.
Well said. And on top of that, the game is fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am not going to back this, mainly because I already own both the base and the expansion. While I like the game, I don't like the game enough to spend the money on this upgrade.

I feel like if I was going to back it, it would have to be at the $115 level to get all the stuff (In for a penny, in for a pound and all that), and that is way too much for me to justify for a game I already own.

If I didn't own it, I would be much more inclined to jump on this offer probably at the $75 level. It is not too bad a deal for the base and expansion, since you get the upgraded components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to try it on BoardGameArena. I did so a few months back, and it fills an ideal niche for me, since I enjoy gaming with my wife but she always requests games that are simpler, lighter on the brain, quicker...and being as pretty as Tokaido doesn't hurt. It definitely is not for everybody, although I'll note that Crossroads (haven't tried it yet) seems to open up more strategy and choice to the game. Before the expansion, most of your choice was "Do I go to the next open location, or skip one, or possibly skip two?" with the best choice almost always being #1 (although knowing when to make the exception is key to winning).

I was all ready to back at the $115 level until money got tight this month.

If you like Takenoko and Hanabi and 7 Wonders, which are all about as light as Tokaido, you will probably enjoy this. And I would not compare it against the original version by itself, since it includes the expansion which is probably a necessity eventually...so you are looking at $75 versus about $60.

EDIT: As to whether the Collector's Edition is worth it, it will include 16 new playable character, which doubles the variety of characters in the game. Characters can have a big impact on play and are one of the big choices that can define your strategy, so this is a big deal, much bigger than the component upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Solo
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed it at the Samurai level mainly after watching the gameplay videos posted to the kickstarter main page. I was really impressed with the simplicity, beauty and pure fun with this game. It is definitely a game to impress your girlfriend or other friends who are new to boardgames.

And those miniatures are really special. A lot of love in this game.

A lot of complaining in the comment section about stretch-goals, shipping and other issues... But all in all, no one is arguing that the game is amazing.... Just kickstarters being kickstarters and asking for what they want for stretch goals and shipping.

Jump in! Its a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help you decide (if we hit $600k in pledges):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

For me, no. I have a copy of the regular edition and played it several times with 2-3 players. It's a fun game with spectacular artwork, but it's not challenging enough for our game group. So, I won't be buying the deluxe edition of it.

I beleive Takenoko is a much more interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
whitecarlton81 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

For me, no. I have a copy of the regular edition and played it several times with 2-3 players. It's a fun game with spectacular artwork, but it's not challenging enough for our game group. So, I won't be buying the deluxe edition of it.

I beleive Takenoko is a much more interesting game.

I think that as a lighter game, this fills a good niche for me. Additionally, my nearly 8-year old daughter is going to love it. There is no cost that I can reasonably handle that isn't worth seeing her gleeful little face light up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langston
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for getting back with me. Its looking like a "buy" for me (as long as I can reconcile myself to the price tag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you just want the game then no, there's no reason to back the KS. Just get the much cheaper regular retail version. If you want a super pretty game, then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's looking like it will be super pretty too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
whitecarlton81 wrote:
I'm trying to decide if I want to back the Kickstarter. Sure, the add-ons look amazing and there is certainly value there, but I'm not used to paying $75 for a game (ESPECIALLY one that seems as light as Tokaido). Having said that, I LOVE Bauza games (Takenoko, 7 Wonders, Hanabi, etc.), so I have trust that I will like this one.

So, sell me one way or another... should I go ahead and shell out what I could usually spend for 2-3 games to Kickstart this one, or does the original version (around $30) offer enough value/fun that I would be better off trying that instead?

Say you open it, play it a few times, and find it's the first Bauza game you end up not liking it.

Given the exclusivity of this game and its components, I'm not sure you're going to lose much if you resell it. For context, I sold a used, out of print Puerto Rico Anniversary edition for $100 when I bought it for $65.

This is all assuming of course you're not having it shipped to some obscure country for an insane shipping fee in excess of $60 or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
This is all assuming of course you're not having it shipped to some obscure country for an insane shipping fee in excess of $60 or something!

Like Canada?

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the board going to be bigger? I don't understand how the Minis and Score tokens will work if the board is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're getting the base game plus three expansions: Crossroads, alternate miniature stats, and Matsuri. Also, a painting service would charge you $5 to $10 per miniature. That's a great price, although I understand it's a great price only if you enjoy the game.

Unfortunately, it's the nature of KS that projects are there to raise a large amount of money in a short period of time, because this is the most cost-effective way to pay for projects that have an overhead cost (eg. printing, molds).

I'm too spread thin with my man-dollies budget, so didn't pledge for Tokaido. I see you have a few games on your Wishlist I can trade to you, so if anyone doesn't like Tokaido, update your trade / want lists, and send me a PM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Buttsworth
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
xBino wrote:

Like Canada?

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Or Australia... unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping has now officially been addressed:

"HI everyone,

After a hard work to find alternative solutions for the deliveries in Asia, Australia and NZ, we are pleased to announce that we managed to find a new partner who allows us to lower the shipping prices.

Here are the new shipping prices (for 1 unit - please refer to the price table for the prices for 2 units) for this shipping revision:

AUSTRALIA: 30$ (instead of previous 60$)
NEW ZEALAND: 40$ (instead of previous 60$)
JAPAN: 37$ (instead of previous 60$)
KOREA: 35$ (instead of previous 60$)
MALAYSIA: 35$ (instead of previous 60$)
SINGAPORE: 35$ (instead of previous 60$)

Regarding our Canadian friends, we received the confirmation from our partner that we could use USPS, HOWEVER, we are currently checking the USPS shipping prices comparing to our actual negociated UPS prices to check if we still are able to offer the free shipping. We will update you ASAP with our final call on this but please be all sure that we are doing our very best to please you. Thanks for your patience!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.