Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do you read an enemy card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Hannebohn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So I'm going through the activation phase of the darkness and I get to the attack step for the minions. So to make sure I'm doing it all right I look through the symbols on the card, and I realized that the rule book refers to the attack section with just one, broad and vague paragraph. There are multiple symbols and references, and yet it doesn't explain what any of those mean. For instance 1m would be melee, and 1R would be range. However not everyone can deduce that. However the BIGGEST issue is that it does not take the time to point out what symbols mean what in the attack section.

So what exactly does the sword mean? I'm guessing it's the TN number to hit heros but why not just use a shield? So now I don't know if thats right.

The other symbol that's confusing is the flame symbol, what does the number inside it mean? What does the red number to the left of it mean? Is it damage? Is it the number of attacks it gets? Is it the number of dice it rolls?

I need some help on this one. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's inside a box. I think a yellow box. In the rulebook. Middle of the page I believe.

I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the page, but it is there. The sword is the TN. The flame is damage and attacks, I forget how to read it off the top of my head, but find that box in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you're looking for is a couple pages into the Darkness section. I know it's on the right side. It has just the section pictured and a list of what each symbol in that section means. I wish I could help you more, but I don't have the rule book with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 39 has everything you're looking for in a pretty clear and concise presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know it is hype to bash Mercs right now but why don't you read the page 39?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Endevor wrote:
I know it is hype to bash Mercs right now but why don't you read the page 39?

I think he just missed it, no need to get defensive, we know the book isn't laid out in a specifically awesome manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am sorry but after a while it seems it is easier to say Mercs does not explain anything in their rulebook than to actually read the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its explained in detail on page 39. The sword is the TN. The flame part is attacks per target. This is not the same as damage (I don't think). For example a mucker is 2 d10 - 1 FD - 2(1) [flame part] - 5 TN.

this means he attacks one target twice (separate rolls) rolling 2 d10 each time and Requiring one TN if 5or higher per roll(attack) to deal a single damage, regardless of how many 5+ were rolled (because he hits for one damage per hit, not on damage per success)

I could be wrong about the two separate attacks. Can anyone clarify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NyQuil Driver wrote:
this means he attacks one target twice (separate rolls) rolling 2 d10. Requiring one TN if 5or higher per roll(attack) to deal a single damage, regardless of how many 5+ were rolled (because he hits for one damage per hit, nit on damage per success)

I could be wrong about the two separate attacks. Can anyone clarify?

You are right, If it is Xdmg/hit yes you have to make completely separate rolls or the dmg chances are modified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hannebohn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thankyou for everyones responses, aye I'm not trying to bash Mercs, I think brian and those guys are amazing. They pushed out a kickstarter in less than a year and it's a solid product. I'm just saying I'm having trouble finding things in the rule book, that's all. After all it's not a perfect rulebook, but I think with our help the Mercs guys CAN make it perfect.

Personally, I think a glossary that shows ALL of the symbols in the entire game and explains what they mean is necessary. It helps anyways and wouldn't be a bad idea to be honest.

Again, thank you everyone for your help with this. :3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucifersbest wrote:
Thankyou for everyones responses, aye I'm not trying to bash Mercs, I think brian and those guys are amazing. They pushed out a kickstarter in less than a year and it's a solid product. I'm just saying I'm having trouble finding things in the rule book, that's all. After all it's not a perfect rulebook, but I think with our help the Mercs guys CAN make it perfect.

Personally, I think a glossary that shows ALL of the symbols in the entire game and explains what they mean is necessary. It helps anyways and wouldn't be a bad idea to be honest.

Again, thank you everyone for your help with this. :3

There is a large glossary in the first few pages with mist every symbol. Strangely these ones are left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hannebohn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah, I love the glossary they included, but there are a few symbols they left out, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to include them I think. But brian even admitted with only 2 months they were rushed and I can see why. Still, for what we got I am very much impressed with the rules book. The way it's laid out is very well done unlike some other rulebooks I've read (Super dungeon explore) Where you have to constantly go back and forth to find things. At least everything here is mostly laid out in an easy to understand manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also don't forget that there is an index in the back. Most rules and concepts are indexed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.