cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've been leaving my solo plays set up on a writing desk, as its the only place inaccessible to my toddler at the moment. A 3-4 character game was taking up the entirety of the table-top though and I've been looking for a solution for a bit.
I first considered crafting something out of foamcore, but I ran into this at Staples:
Staples 8-Pocket Business Card Holder


Sure the back is clear, but I'm soloing from one side of the table, so this isn't a problem. Each slot can hold a location deck easily (or a full blessing deck, with less than 8 locations). I simply put the decks sideways and stick the character cards upright in the appropriate slot.

Just thought I'd share.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
If being able to see the back does become an issue, you can place a card from another game, or a henchman who isn't in that mission at the back of the deck. That way it'll be covered.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or spray paint the back.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good idea and a pretty cheap solution.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cosined wrote:
I've been leaving my solo plays set up on a writing desk, as its the only place inaccessible to my toddler at the moment. A 3-4 character game was taking up the entirety of the table-top though and I've been looking for a solution for a bit.
I first considered crafting something out of foamcore, but I ran into this at Staples:
Staples 8-Pocket Business Card Holder


Sure the back is clear, but I'm soloing from one side of the table, so this isn't a problem. Each slot can hold a location deck easily (or a full blessing deck, with less than 8 locations). I simply put the decks sideways and stick the character cards upright in the appropriate slot.

Just thought I'd share.


Freakin' genius. What a great idea that is for a "travel game." I could totally see playing on an airplane with one of those.

How do you identify which location is which?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could have the locations facing front and draw from the back of each deck.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
mike selinker wrote:
Freakin' genius. What a great idea that is for a "travel game." I could totally see playing on an airplane with one of those.

How do you identify which location is which?


In playing last night (the 2nd time with the rack), I set each location deck on its side in the specific rows and stood the location card upright to the left of the slot. The characters at the locations are set upright, but to the right. When I needed a card from the top of any deck, the location and character cards tipped forward enough to slide the top (really "nearest" or most forward) card from the actual location deck.

Granted, it was difficult to see how many cards were in each location deck at a glance, but a quick tip and check wasn't at all annoying. You can't readily read the location cards either, but lifting out the location card to re-read it was easy enough. These minor issues are certainly outweighed by the sudden increase in table space.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
Could have the locations facing front and draw from the back of each deck.



That's a great idea for having the location text handy, while hiding the boons/banes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic solution.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
mike selinker wrote:
I could totally see playing on an airplane with one of those

Passenger in Seat 38A: Hey, what the hell are you doing down there buddy?
Air Hostess: Sir, you need to return to your seat.
Mike: My dee twelve rolled this way and I'm just short 4 to defeat the Bunyip in the General Store!
Air Hostess: Marshal!


... and that's what actually makes me laugh about the prospect of playing on an airplane. Unless you're up in first class, there's not much hope of rolling dice and managing the game in the space provided. In this day where planes are packed to capacity, I see little chance your aisle-mates are going to be too thrilled with your gaming in such a small cramped space.

Heck, even in 1st class, you're going to be pretty challenged to play this IMHO.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I could see playing a 2-character game with this. Locations on one side, character decks & discards on the other, throw in a dice-rolling app on your electronic device of choice and you're set!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cosined
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
Perhaps you could post a 'game in progress' shot?


Here is a close up of the business card holder in use.

The rest of the desk is used for scharlemagne's Character Sheets folded over, acting as character management zones:
- Picture: draw pile
- Skills: my hand when not in use
- Roles: discard pile.

This keeps everything neat so I can walk away mid-game and everything makes sense when I return.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.