Hide
9 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Counter Tray Storage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Douglas
msg tools
How do you fellow cardboard pushers store your counter trays that can't fit back in the game box? I like the organization of trays and dislike other methods--Planos, baggies, etc.

Unfortunately, most game boxes are not large enough to tray the counters and fit back in the box. For example, I just finished clipping GD '42 and can fit all the unit counters adequately in 1 or 2 GMT trays which fit back in the box, but all the system counters are in another tray. No big deal because all my other TCS system counters can also go in that tray and I store it separately.

Now I've got several loose trays across my collection. An extra tray for Line of Battle system counters, one for TCS, several trays for Battle for Normandy. As my collection grows, my number of outside-the-box trays will increase.

What should I do with them? I am not open to changing away from trays. How should I store them in a way that is easily accessible but space conscious?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have a few games like that; I just store them horizontally with all trays stacked inside and the box lid on top of that, even though the box is not fully closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a plastic document box for the four counter trays I use for Space Empires 4x from Target that stacks with the other document boxes that are holding my bagged wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I have a few games like that; I just store them horizontally with all trays stacked inside and the box lid on top of that, even though the box is not fully closed.

I do this also, but only if the lid can at least overlap the box bottom by some amount. If the lid is unable to do so (I'm looking at you, Flat Top!), the tray simply sits on top of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I organize my magazine game counters (in baggies) separately from the
games, indexed into their own boxes. For those few games unable to hold a
counter tray - or needing so many that the won't fit in the box, I'd suggest
storing them separately (bins or whatever). Seeing all sorts of unmarked
trays on my shelves would definitely spoil my appreciation of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go with whatever keeps everything in order while still fitting in the box. Sometimes that means plastic bags. When it all outgrows the box, I go with a bigger box, especially with game "systems" such as Combat Commander, Commands & Colors, and ASL. Once the game outgrows the box I tend to go with Plano-type storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
russ wrote:

I'd considered that with Last Chance for Victory as the deep box ALMOST fits all the trays inside. Do you find that it leads to any sort of box damage in the long run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ddavidc wrote:
russ wrote:

I'd considered that with Last Chance for Victory as the deep box ALMOST fits all the trays inside. Do you find that it leads to any sort of box damage in the long run?

No, and I'm not sure I can see how it would damage the box; I'd be more worried about weight pressing on the trays between the box top and bottom, but I don't stack more than a couple of such over-filled games on top of each other, so there's really not much weight involved.

So far I've had no problems or worries with it. It's just slightly less convenient pulling out a game from the stack if its box lid is raised up higher than the lip of the box bottom and another game is stacked on top of that one. But I only have one such "radically over-stuffed" box. Mostly it just looks kind of confusing/weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
I'll try that out for a while. My collection is still fairly small so I don't have too many games to worry about at this point.

Thanks Russ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.