Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to my first Strategicon convention at Orccon in February, but didn't attend on Monday.

In May for Gamex my Monday is free, so I'm thinking of going mainly for the auction. I'm relatively new to gaming and want to buy a lot of games in all sorts of categories, and I don't care if they're used as long as they are playable.

How does the auction work for buyers, in particular, what does the $50 nonrefundable buyer tab mean?

What sort of games are sold and what sort of prices to they go for?

Is it individuals or companies/stores selling things?

Is it new or used stuff or both?

Is it very well attended?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great questions, we go Monday for the auction every convention so I will try to answer some questions.

You don't need a $50 buyer tab, that's only for those who don't pay as they go and buy a lot. There are maybe 3 or 4 of us usually who do need and use it. I must have a tab myself because I'm in a wheelchair so its needed. I suggest not bothering with a tab for your first auction.

The games sold are pretty much all over the place, its whatever people decide to sell. Prices are usually pretty decent but again that depends on the crowd and what is up for auction. If there are few games prices go higher and it becomes a sellers auction, if a lot of games prices are not as high and its more of a buyers auction. The games range from Euro's to RPG's to Mini's and CCG's and party games. I would say on average a normal auction has about 250 items that are sold although the last auction was large and had closer to 400 items.

Almost all games sold are from individuals although some of the dealers from the dealer room will sometimes dump a few games if they haven't made enough for the weekend or they just have extra and don't want to take everything home.

Most stuff is used but there are usually some new items also. I have been buying stuff at this auctions for almost 30 years and in that time I would say less then a handful of games were not complete. People do tend to take care of their stuff so its always worth the risk to me in case its not complete.

I would say there are 150 - 200 people each auction, sometimes more and sometimes less.

There are often some very collectable games sold, at the last one there was a copy of Star Wars: The Queens Gambit that went for auction. It sold for $135 so for rare and hard to get games don't plan on the best deals as there are several experts on the value of games and will bid on them to either resell on ebay or to keep for themselves if its that hard to find or that good of a price. I would say between 1 and 10 games each auction fit the collectable/rare category.

I hope I have helped you to answer your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.