Clash of Cultures» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exploring with an army: can I attack barbarians? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game, and appreciate the designer's participation on this forum. A question came up when I was playing recently, and the rules seem unclear. If I enter an unrevealed region with an army and the region has a barbarian icon, can I choose to put the Barbarian settlement on the fertile space that my army moves into and have a combat? The relevant rules seem to be:

Quote:
Exploring with Land units [p. 16]
Regions are revealed as you move your units into them.

Barbarians [p.13]
Exploration: when exploring, if you reveal a region with a Barbarian icon in the middle, place a Barbarian settlement and a Barbarian unit on one of the Fertile space of that region -- exploring player's choice (although never the space that the Settler entered).

As the rules are written, I think it's legitimate to place the settlement into the space the army enters and have a combat, but that may be contrary to the intent of the Barbarians rule, especially since it says "the Settler." Exploring with armies doesn't happen very often, but if it's legal, it might provide a bonus of two gold or a gold and a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought to check this since it seems obvious that the settlement should never appear in the target hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agree with Daniel. I always put it in the hex where my units were not..... but if the rulebook specifically says "Settler", then I may have misinterpreted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says "settler" in the rule book for a reason: to differentiate it from an exploring army. Settler's can't attack, and therefore would be eliminated if the hex contained a barbarian settlement.

So, I think it's reasonable to put the barbarian settlement/unit in the exploring armies hex and have combat.

Would like to see if there is an official answer: it's a good question and maybe a decent strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that would be a big difference, we have been playing you cant put the barbarians in same hex you were attempting to move into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Nice catch - I will add it to the FAQ. It is simply an error - an oversight, since most exploration is done by Settlers. The Barbarian must be placed on an empty space.

Sorry for the confusion. Incredible how one can still miss such simple things.

Cheers

EstelEdain wrote:
I really enjoy this game, and appreciate the designer's participation on this forum. A question came up when I was playing recently, and the rules seem unclear. If I enter an unrevealed region with an army and the region has a barbarian icon, can I choose to put the Barbarian settlement on the fertile space that my army moves into and have a combat? The relevant rules seem to be:

Quote:
Exploring with Land units [p. 16]
Regions are revealed as you move your units into them.

Barbarians [p.13]
Exploration: when exploring, if you reveal a region with a Barbarian icon in the middle, place a Barbarian settlement and a Barbarian unit on one of the Fertile space of that region -- exploring player's choice (although never the space that the Settler entered).

As the rules are written, I think it's legitimate to place the settlement into the space the army enters and have a combat, but that may be contrary to the intent of the Barbarians rule, especially since it says "the Settler." Exploring with armies doesn't happen very often, but if it's legal, it might provide a bonus of two gold or a gold and a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Hi. Nice catch - I will add it to the FAQ. It is simply an error - an oversight, since most exploration is done by Settlers. The Barbarian must be placed on an empty space.

Sorry for the confusion. Incredible how one can still miss such simple things.

Cheers

See, I was going to say this, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.