Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

RoboRally» Forums » Rules

Subject: Curved conveyor belt question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Last
msg tools
mb
Hello,
If my robot was facing east & I have used register card (back one space) which put the robot on conveyor belt moving in the west direction ( so the robot facing & conveyor belt in the opposite directions ) .
1- now when the factory elements start to move , does the conveyor belt move the robot one space forward & keep the orientation of the robot as it is in the opposite direction?

2-What will happen when the robot reach curved conveyor belt if the robot stayed facing the opposite direction of the belt , I know it will turn 90 degree but in this case is the robot after turning 90 degree in the curve are going to face north or south?

(in both of these situations the movement of the robot happened powered by the factory elements not its own power)

thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Hello,
If my robot was facing east & I have used register card (back one space) which put the robot on conveyor belt moving in the west direction ( so the robot facing & conveyor belt in the opposite directions ) .
1- now when the factory elements start to move , does the conveyor belt move the robot one space forward & keep the orientation of the robot as it is in the opposite direction?

The robot's orientation does not change.

james0007 wrote:

2-What will happen when the robot reach curved conveyor belt if the robot stayed facing the opposite direction of the belt , I know it will turn 90 degree but in this case is the robot after turning 90 degree in the curve are going to face north or south?

The robot will turn 90 degrees in the same direction the conveyor belt does. You didn't say whether it's a left or right curve in the conveyor belt, so I couldn't say if the robot's facing north or south, but it still has its back to the direction of conveyance.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whangdoodle wrote:
james0007 wrote:

2-What will happen when the robot reach curved conveyor belt if the robot stayed facing the opposite direction of the belt , I know it will turn 90 degree but in this case is the robot after turning 90 degree in the curve are going to face north or south?

The robot will turn 90 degrees in the same direction the conveyor belt does. You didn't say whether it's a left or right curve in the conveyor belt, so I couldn't say if the robot's facing north or south, but it still has its back to the direction of conveyance.

If The conveyor belt turns clockwise, so does the robot, so it is still facing away from the new direction of travel. The robot will maintain it's orientation with respect to the conveyor, not the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you for the answer ,
about the 2nd question what will be the facing if it left curve & the facing for the right curve ?
and i assume from your answer the robot depending on the left or right curve the robot will face north or south while the belt moving to the west direction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Kropf
United States
Brownsville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I cannot not not not not not not not not not not not not not not tell a lie. But man can I obscure the truth or what?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I ways remember is:

1. The conveyor only spins the robot when the robot ENTERS a curved space under the conveyors power. So if your movement card places you on a curve space you won't spin, but if it places you one space before the curve you will spin when the conveyor moves you into the curved space.

2. You always spin 90 degrees in the direction the arrow on the curve space is pointing. Again, only when the conveyor moves you not when you move there under your own power.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Thank you for the answer ,
about the 2nd question what will be the facing if it left curve & the facing for the right curve ?
and i assume from your answer the robot depending on the left or right curve the robot will face north or south while the belt moving to the west direction.

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns left (i.e. southward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point north as it rounds that bend.

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns right (i.e. northward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point south as it rounds that bend.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b0ykropf wrote:
The way I ways remember is:

1. The conveyor only spins the robot when the robot ENTERS a curved space under the conveyors power. So if your movement card places you on a curve space you won't spin, but if it places you one space before the curve you will spin when the conveyor moves you into the curved space.

2. You always spin 90 degrees in the direction the arrow on the curve space is pointing. Again, only when the conveyor moves you not when you move there under your own power.


This answer is absolutely correct! 2 points!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you all for the answers , if i got it right it seems like we have 2 opinions :

1- clock wise movment :
If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns left (i.e. southward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point north as it rounds that bend.

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns right (i.e. northward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point south as it rounds that bend.

2- the direction the arrow on the curve space is pointing :
(in this case )

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns left (i.e. southward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point South as the direction of the arrow on the curve space.

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns right (i.e. northward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point nrth as the direction of the arrow on the curve space.

So can we agree in one answer please .

thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Thank you all for the answers , if i got it right it seems like we have 2 opinions :

1- clock wise movment :
If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns left (i.e. southward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point north as it rounds that bend.

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns right (i.e. northward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point south as it rounds that bend.

2- the direction the arrow on the curve space is pointing :
(in this case )

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns left (i.e. southward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point South as the direction of the arrow on the curve space.

If a westward travelling conveyor belt turns right (i.e. northward), then a backwards facing robot on that conveyor will be turned to point nrth as the direction of the arrow on the curve space.

So can we agree in one answer please .

thanks

I think you are just misreading the phrase "spin in the direction of the arrow". Rather than look at the arrow as indicating an absolute direction. Think of it as a clockwise or counter-clockwise turn. Curving conveyor belts rotate in much the same way as cog spaces do, except that they only activate their turning function if you are pushed onto them by a preceding conveyor belt space.

If your robot is facing backwards before being pushed onto a curved conveyor tile, your robot will be rotated so as to still be facing backwards in the direction the conveyor belt is now headed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisuVir
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
james0007 wrote:
Thank you all for the answers , if i got it right it seems like we have 2 opinions


...

It really isn't very complicated. If your robot is moved by a conveyor onto a conveyor square with a curved arrow, your robot is turned 90 degrees in the direction of the curved arrow.

Another way of saying this is that your robot continues facing the same direction relative to its current movement along the conveyor. If your robot is facing east and your conveyor belt is moving west... then after the robot hits a "left turn" in the conveyor belt, the conveyor belt will be moving south and the robot will be facing north. Before and after, the robot is facing "backwards" relative to the direction of travel of the conveyor.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you all for the answers it means alot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really very simple. The conveyor belt acts like a real conveyor belt. Have you ever seen those baggage claim conveyors?

If a small child is in a rear-facing car seat, and the car is going north, which way is the child facing?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
South


Now if the car turns right (to it's now going east), which way is the child facing?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
West


If a dog is sticking his head out of the right window, he's facing right, relative to the car. If the car is going east, which way is the dog facing?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
South


If the car then turns left (so it's now going north), which way is the dog facing?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
East
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil is so good at RoboRally that he wrote that without robodancing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.