Castaways» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shorter Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Any ideas to make the game shorter without loosing to much?

Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game length is primarily determined by (and balanced by) the number of event cards for the number of players.
You could reduce the number of cards which shortens the game but I imagine that would make things tough.

Alternatively, just explore everything all the time to end the game quicker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are general things that should balance each other out, but I am not super experienced with the game so I can't give any exact numbers. You should make all 3 of these changes simultaneously to keep the game balanced.

A) Reduce the number of events in the game--will make the game harder on the players.
B) Reduce the number of spaces on the exploration track or give players extra movement ("feet) for exploring--will make the game easier on the players.
C) Reduce the number of markers needed to build the two big constructions (signal fire and sign in the sand)--will make the game easier on the players.

(Optional) Injuries and trauma might become less of an issue if you make the game shorter, so you might consider increasing the odds of an injury turning into a trauma at night.

I would suggest starting by reducing each of these elements by 1/3 and tweaking from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael G.
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried one thing : advance the exporation marker by one when choosing the "prepare an expedition" action, but that proved to be too much for the islands middle & end sections (green & red).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Move one space on the exploration track every time you draw a exploration card, plus one more space per foot on the card, as usual.

This reduces the playing time to 1/2. We have been using this variant since the game is out and I can guarantee it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hemp wrote:
Move one space on the exploration track every time you draw a exploration card, plus one more space per foot on the card, as usual.

This reduces the playing time to 1/2. We have been using this variant since the game is out and I can guarantee it works.

Have you found the difficulty of the game affected much by this? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.