5 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Muaat Starting Forces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
Boy their starting forces suck. It's scary to send out a WS by itself and they just get so little to work with. And once everyone else gets a warsun what's left for these guys? The supernova tech sucks, and I've yet to see the ability to pass through a supernova be very useful. Has anyone had any luck with these guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, they do well with a short game. The Muuat player should concentrate on scoring points as quickly as possible....bully in and accomplish combat objectives in the first couple rounds, and finish the game as fast as possible.

As the game winds down, their advantage is gone, and they must scrape to get the last few VP.

Playing Muuat timidly is a sure-fire way to loose.

So goes the theory, anyway. I've not yet had the opportunity to try them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromage wrote:
Boy their starting forces suck. It's scary to send out a WS by itself and they just get so little to work with. And once everyone else gets a warsun what's left for these guys? The supernova tech sucks, and I've yet to see the ability to pass through a supernova be very useful. Has anyone had any luck with these guys?

Don't discount their ability to spawn fighters and destroyers at that starting War Sun. With a couple of easily replaceable ships to soak damage, the War Sun isn't so vulnerable. It's slow to start out, but the spawn ability makes their War Suns superior to everyone else's for the whole game. I've seen the Muaat win at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Varela
Chile
Santiago
Region metropolitana
flag msg tools
Exactly. Don't dismiss their starting forces, the spawn fighters ability helps you quite a lot to get aggressive at the start of the game. It also helps to spend resources in complementing your fleet rather than protecting your warsun, or in teching to get the extra movement for it.

The supernova-bypass ability won me the game I played with them. My opponents forgot about it and I came right into his home system, landing me my secret objective.
Well, the false sense of security came also from me being 3 tiles away, and me having DSC and the first racial tech were part of the trick. I bet that stopping right on the other side of his supernova might have seemed a bit suspicious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dzyhanas S.
Turkey
flag msg tools
Yes, Muaat is Slow at beginning buy Do not underestimate power of move 3 Warsuns!
A few months ago, in mid game ( something like third or fourth round) while fighting near MR, Muaat player lost his Warsun along with other small ships and Fighters (i think opponent was Barony). Just in the same round Muaat player used production card, produced Warsun along with six Fighters from his HS and strike back to his opponent 's fleet which was crippled from previous combat and destroyed it and then with his Racial ability resupplied Fighters. I remember the moment when his opponent couldn't believe how he got enough Resources to built all fo those and count his production by himself

And for late game, Duranium armor tech make Muaat a power. Two Warsuns with Duranium armor and movement 3! Those were hell of Space battles and they can be everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.