Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine is getting married in a month. Recently I got him into Magic and he just loves the game. He bought himself 4 common sets and 2 uncommon sets from M13 to build some casual decks from, intended to be played against another. I decided to buy him some extra lands, some tokens and some M13 Rares to spice up his games. So before I proceed, keep in mind that the powerlevel of his decks won't be that high.

In addition to the 10 rares I'm giving him I thought it would be nice to give him a custom made card. I've got an idea for a card (a card with an alternative win condition), but I find it hard to get all the variables right. Here's what I have so far.

Cost: WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Human
0/5

Tap: put a kiss counter on CARDNAME.
If CARDNAME has three or more kiss counters on it, you win the game.
If you search your library and CARDNAME is in it, you may pay WUBRG. If you do, put CARDNAME into your hand.

(I know, the card is a bit corny, I know. But for a wedding, the kissing theme fits.)

There are not a lot of cards in my friend's cardpool that work well with this card (4 Evolving Wilds, 4 Farseek, 2 Gem of Becoming), so the card is allowed to be powerful (it's quite hard to pull this off). Also, I wanted a way to tutor for this card, because this card is supposed to be the only win condition of this deck. I'm not sure I have the self tutoring part of this card correct though.

I'm not sure how good exactly I should make this card to make it competitive and fun to play with and against. I'm not sure whether I should keep it a creature or make it an enchantment. Enchantments are harder to interact with and could therefor be considered unfun, on the other hand I don't want the card to be able to be removed easily. That's why I went with wall-like stats. That way it can do some work when it enters the battlefield, but it's a little bit more easy to destroy. Not sure how high to put the toughness though (letting it keep 0 power is thematic though).

Also, is three counters a good amount? Getting it in play might be hard already, so I didn't want to add that many more difficulties. I like designs like Azor's Elocutors where it isn't set in stone how many turns it will cost you to trigger the win condition. But the simplicity of Door to Nothingness is something I like as well, and might be better suited for a beginner.

I hope you can tweak this card with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always make a proxy mockup of Proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some food for your project:

While you're searching your library, you may cast [cardname] from your library.

See: Panglacial Wurm
http://magiccards.info/cs/en/116.html

Also just for laughs:
1996 World Champion
http://magiccards.info/uqc/en/1.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dream_rpg wrote:
While you're searching your library, you may cast [cardname] from your library.

I like this. A lot more elegant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.