6 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mage Knight Combat Rules/Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bell
msg tools
Hello!

I have done research on this site and others on this one question that I need clarity for. I can best ask it with an example.

Combat with multiple enemies...I understand one must block one at a time.

When I attack, I know I have the choice of one at a time or multiple. My question has to do with attacking multiple enemies at once in ranged or regular. If I attack 2 units in the ranged phase lets say, one with 4 defense and one with 5 defense, neither of them has any resistances (they share resistances if they are grouped correct?)...

I attack them with 6 siege/ranged attack...does that 6 attack kill both? (i.e. the 6 dmg to the 4, and 6 dmg to the 5?)

Or does it only kill one and I use the rest of the attack for another? (I.e. I kill the 4 and use the extra 2 for the 5 dropping it to 3? which would be useless...? Unless he is lowered for the melee attack)

If its the latter, then why ever attack dudes as a group?

My second question has to do with the rule change in the expansion (not that I have it, so maybe I shouldn't bother, but I was reading the FAQ and it said the rules changed and to use the new ones)...

How has movement/influence changed? I read page 9 of the expansion but I am still somewhat lost...Can I move, then interact, then move again? Or is it more about using move points for other special effects cards?

The game is great, just gets a little complex with combat and makes my head hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timbell02 wrote:
Hello!

I have done research on this site and others on this one question that I need clarity for. I can best ask it with an example.

Combat with multiple enemies...I understand one must block one at a time.

When I attack, I know I have the choice of one at a time or multiple. My question has to do with attacking multiple enemies at once in ranged or regular. If I attack 2 units in the ranged phase lets say, one with 4 defense and one with 5 defense, neither of them has any resistances (they share resistances if they are grouped correct?)...

I attack them with 6 siege/ranged attack...does that 6 attack kill both? (i.e. the 6 dmg to the 4, and 6 dmg to the 5?)

Or does it only kill one and I use the rest of the attack for another? (I.e. I kill the 4 and use the extra 2 for the 5 dropping it to 3? which would be useless...? Unless he is lowered for the melee attack)

It's total attack vs total armor where attack >= armor. It's all or nothing. No partial damage assigned.

Quote:
If its the latter, then why ever attack dudes as a group?

Efficiency. Let's say you had one card that gave you ranged of 4 and another that gave you ranged of 2. You're facing two enemies each with an armor of 3. If you attacked them separately you could only defeat one and you'd be "wasting" one point of attack (the 4 card). You couldn't use the 2 card at all. However, combining them gives you an attack value of 6 which is enough to defeat both enemies combined.

P.S. Try here for future questions re: Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bell
msg tools
Thank you. So if I understood you correctly...

If I have 12 attack available to myself and the armor of the two enemies is 5 and 6...

The actual combat is my 12 attack vs. their 11 combined armor? So I would beat them?

Thanks for your help and I will check that forum next time (I swear I have looked everywhere for this simple question and couldn't find a straight answer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timbell02 wrote:

If I have 12 attack available to myself and the armor of the two enemies is 5 and 6...

The actual combat is my 12 attack vs. their 11 combined armor? So I would beat them?

Thanks for your help and I will check that forum next time (I swear I have looked everywhere for this simple question and couldn't find a straight answer).

As long as we aren't factoring any resistances and other considerations, yes, 12 combined attack will defeat a group of enemies adding up to 11 total armor.

Any time you have a rules question about a specific game you can search for that game using the search tool at the top of the site. The default setting is to search for board games. Once on the page for the game scroll down to the forum section. You'll see a subforum for "Rules". Typically that will be the best place to go. Even if the forum doesn't look too active there are usually folks who have "subscribed" to the forum and will get a notification any time someone posts there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
timbell02 wrote:

As long as we aren't factoring any resistances and other considerations, yes, 12 combined attack will defeat a group of enemies adding up to 11 total armor.

Any time you have a rules question about a specific game you can search for that game using the search tool at the top of the site. The default setting is to search for board games. Once on the page for the game scroll down to the forum section. You'll see a subforum for "Rules". Typically that will be the best place to go. Even if the forum doesn't look too active there are usually folks who have "subscribed" to the forum and will get a notification any time someone posts there.

You can also look for rules questions that have been already answered using the forum search feature once you're on a game's page, though it can be very sketchy at best. A more reliable way to search would be to go to Google and enter site:www.boardgamegeek.com mage knight XXXXX where XXXX is a few key terms involving the rules you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.