Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Solo gaming - do you narrate, talk to yourself, provide sound effects, etc.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
For many years, my solo gaming was almost exclusively limited to sports games like Strat-O-Matic, Replay, Dynasty League, APBA, Statis Pro and others. I mostly played baseball and football games, but I occasionally dabbled in hockey and basketball. Whenever I played these games, I would usually provide some commentary. For example, if I was playing baseball, I might say, "The pitch," then roll the dice and find the result of the play. If it was a homerun, I'd say something like, "The batter swings . . . it's a deep drive to left field . . . and it's GONE!" Of course, I'd say these things in hushed tones so that my wife wouldn't suspect how weird I really am.

Now that I play mostly non-sports games, I still talk to myself. Although, the narration usually isn't very colorful unless it's a game that has a battle aspect to it like Runebound. During battles, I might narrate the swings and misses or the crushing blows, and possibly even provide sound effects to match the types of weapons being used or the screams of the wounded characters.

How about you? Are you a silent solo player or do you narrate and provide sound effects? If not, do you think I need to seek professional help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, but I think it's cool that you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in my head.
Talking aloud when you're alone is just bonkers.

Could be I think that because I naturally have a strong internal monologue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
ElSethe wrote:
Only in my head.
Talking aloud when you're alone is just bonkers.

Could be I think that because I naturally have a strong internal monologue.

Yeah. Some of the narration takes place in my head, but I definitely vocalize the sound of the spectators cheering and some of the other stuff . . . maybe I'm just in love with the sound of my own voice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not crazy enough to make sound effects, but I certainly loudly berate and criticize my characters when they make horrible dice rolls or let me down in some way. They should really know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe
I teach a little game design at my school, so before my students start designing their games we play as many games as possible, so before I bring the games in I set them up at home and do a solo play just to remind myself of how I want to teach the game.

sometimes I take notes, to go over the main points of my lesson
theme-subject matter of the game
goals of the game
victory conditions
mechanics
points of interest about the game
how the rule book is set up

these are important concepts to review prior to teaching a game to my students

But when soloing I do play the different players differently

as far as talking to myself...hmmm, dont think i need a game to do that.

or as Jerry Garcia once noted: I sometimes talk to myselves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I talk to myself. But it tends to be no more than I'd do when playing with other people - "I move here, take this resource, use that card" and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've been Dungeon Mastering for D&D so long, when I play board or video games solo (typically wargames), I've got an internal monologue going that develops backstories and personalities and histories, etc, etc, etc. By the time the game is done I could write a historical fiction novel if I was any good at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeepers. I'm already weird for playing games. Weirder still playing alone.

Talking to myself is between me and the other me.

What happens in my head stays in my head.

Mostly.

Next you'll want to know about the dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are two different types of solo gaming -- there's the simulation sports gaming (as the OP mentions) and everything else.

When I'm playing simulation sports, I *absolutely* "announce" the game (interestingly, I'll only do this when playing solitaire; not when playing face-to-face ... although, I did play in a tournament with someone who did want to announce the game. To both of us. The entire game. Every at-bat.)

When I'm playing anything else (Ingenious or even something like a Mage Knight or an Agricola), I don't 'announce' the game. I think I do/did it with the sim sports because it's something that is ingrained with watching sports (I believe, secretly, everyone who watches sports wants to be an announcer; so this is the chance).

But, please, for the love of God -- if you're going to announce the game, seriously, save it ONLY for the solitaire gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I talk to myself. But it tends to be no more than I'd do when playing with other people - "I move here, take this resource, use that card" and so on.

+1

A description, rather than a narration.

Though doubtless it would strike many people as nuts laugh

I love the idea of sound effects. I've not tried it, but am now encouraged to do so! I reckon incarceration is only days away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
When I'm most 'into' a game, I take breaks to do something
I call drumming - which is a physical (and very spastic) act
of flapping my hands. Since very young that action has allowed
me a visualization which is far beyond what I normally can get
from imagination - basically a full movie panorama. In a lot of
ways, this has given me an outlet for imagination and creativity,
which is perhaps too easy; there is no need to actually make anything
as I can entertain myself fully.

Obviously, it's not something I can engage in with others - and the
vids, along with the analysis I provide with them, cut deeply into
this enjoyment.

When I'm actually playing, especially when very tired, an echoing
version of subvocalization starts to happen. It's disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
I only make sound effects when playing with other people.
Does that make it more weird?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a silent solo gamer, but I think that vocal gaming narration when alone and unrecorded sounds great, a cool visceral extension of the imagination, and someone who does it happily has achieved a freedom from vanity and self-consciousness that I envy. And by God, I'm on board. I'm trying it soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorennarnia wrote:
vanity and self-consciousness

Or, in layman's terms, "sanity."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do tend to talk out loud to myself when I play solo games. I also tend to curse out loud when I am losing at said solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kreator82 wrote:
I also tend to curse out loud when I am losing at said solo games.

This! O yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
For many years, my solo gaming was almost exclusively limited to sports games like Strat-O-Matic, Replay, Dynasty League, APBA, Statis Pro and others. I mostly played baseball and football games, but I occasionally dabbled in hockey and basketball. Whenever I played these games, I would usually provide some commentary. For example, if I was playing baseball, I might say, "The pitch," then roll the dice and find the result of the play. If it was a homerun, I'd say something like, "The batter swings . . . it's a deep drive to left field . . . and it's GONE!" Of course, I'd say these things in hushed tones so that my wife wouldn't suspect how weird I really am.

Now that I play mostly non-sports games, I still talk to myself. Although, the narration usually isn't very colorful unless it's a game that has a battle aspect to it like Runebound. During battles, I might narrate the swings and misses or the crushing blows, and possibly even provide sound effects to match the types of weapons being used or the screams of the wounded characters.

How about you? Are you a silent solo player or do you narrate and provide sound effects? If not, do you think I need to seek professional help?

I did when I was a kid.

Never did flap my arms like a bird like the other dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Kreator82 wrote:
I also tend to curse out loud when I am losing at said solo games.

This! O yes.

I talk out loud. "Okay, if I move here then this will happen but if I try this tactic out, I might get away with it. I'm going for it. WIFE, I'M GOING FOR IT"

Ok, I only do that last part sometimes. But seriously, all that is true. I love solitaire gaming, me time, and thinking out loud. I also love that my wife, a total non-gamer, gives me the space to do so (as much as she can, at least, living in an apartment) and loves that I love my hobbies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I talk to my minis....also curse the minis or cards....I tell my strategies out loud...my wife thinks i'm nuts...lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I talk out loud. "Okay, if I move here then this will happen but if I try this tactic out, I might get away with it. I'm going for it. WIFE, I'M GOING FOR IT"

Ok, I only do that last part sometimes. But seriously, all that is true. I love solitaire gaming, me time, and thinking out loud. I also love that my wife, a total non-gamer, gives me the space to do so (as much as she can, at least, living in an apartment) and loves that I love my hobbies[/q]

My wife just makes fun of my nerdiness. She thinks it's funny that I talk back to the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
But, please, for the love of God -- if you're going to announce the game, seriously, save it ONLY for the solitaire gaming!

Oh, I know you love when people do this Chris ... especially at conventions. You can't fool us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
of flapping my hands.

I wiggle my toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
sjohanson wrote:
I've been Dungeon Mastering for D&D so long, when I play board or video games solo (typically wargames), I've got an internal monologue going that develops backstories and personalities and histories, etc, etc, etc. By the time the game is done I could write a historical fiction novel if I was any good at it!

I do the same thing in pretty much every game I play... drives people nuts.

Observer: "You're having such a hard time... why not just shoot the guy"
Me: "I can't. My hero doesn't like violence so I need to run past them."

or

Me: "I can't have my healer cure him... he's a terrible black mage. That'd be blasphemy!"

By the time I reach the end of a game I've got one heck of a story to tell.

And as for the original topic... I don't actually know if I make sound effects and such. I don't recall ever doing that... but it sounds like the sort of thing I would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
calandale wrote:
of flapping my hands.

I wiggle my toes.

The rich visuals are the big deal though.

I scoured Wrong Planet for others with this link, and no one
owned up to it. It comes with the sharp clarity of image that can come
from masturbation, but tied into whatever story I want to spin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.