Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: live forever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garvey
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
If my character is close to death, is it right that if he doesn't explore he never will die? Sure we will lose but I live to fight again another day. Is that right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are never required to get a card from your character deck and don't have one, then yes. Exploring is optional.

Rulebook v3 p8 wrote:
Your Turn
Take your turn by going through the following steps in order. The only required steps are Advance the Blessings Deck, Reset Your Hand, and End Your Turn; the other steps are optional.

But there are a few things that might make you draw a card even without exploring, so be careful.

Examples include:
A "mass encounter" barrier like Zombie Horde. Most of these don't apply to characters at closed locations.
Sajan's Drunken Master role has a power requiring him to draw a card at the start of his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Jensen
msg tools
There was a debate on bgg recently about skipping exploration. I have no problem with it because there are consequences. If you do not explore you might lose the scenario and there are plenty of boons and powers that require discarding cards, such as barriers causing damage to everyone at a location after a failed check. If you are low on cards you still can perma death from another characters action. It is a matter of balance and luck. But you are right. The characters can choose not to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clasing
msg tools
mb
I think thematically it's as if the character says, "I'm too beat up, you guys go on without me." So, there is some sense to it.

And, as Hawkmoon says, the monsters may still come and seek you out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. It's not like you can tell someone their character is dead for good if they die, then turn around and tell them they are irresistibly compelled to risk their lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it's slightly different if you are soloing with a single character, then it just feels "odd".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franklin1742 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Though it's slightly different if you are soloing with a single character, then it just feels "odd".

It does feel a bit odd, but it's a bit like saying 'I withdraw'. I suppose the penalty is in repeating the scenario, making up the location decks etc.

On the other hand, if you couldn't withdraw, and you were facing death on Scenario 5 of Adventure 5...
Agreed, it makes it doubly odd that I have the choice of certain death as a character and as a player having to start from scratch or saying "nope, this isn't going to work, I'll try later" and just calling it quits with no penalty. Playing solo with a single Character is a no risk game. I've decided that it's too dull to bother with. The choice is between the disappointment of losing all progress to date or an anticlimactic 'backing down'. Not good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.