Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up today. We sifted through the rulebook and forum and could find nothing on it, which made us both suspect that it should have been an obvious answer.

We keep seeing references to a flagship using its transportation action during its move.

I understand this is likely written to address the "zero move" trick. However, it creates some confusion when there is a ship that is not next to a flagship at the start of its move but that can be picked up "en route" and delivered at the end of the move.

We played it that picked up a ship to be transported en route was fine, but I suspect that this is not actually the case.

I would love an official ruling or at least a reference to the answer since we spent a very long time trying to parse this out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McManemin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
my guess would be that this is not allowed. the rules for the flagship's ability are written in a pretty clear sequence:

Place one of your ships that is in any surrounding space on top of the flagship. Then use the flagship’s move action to move the flagship 1 or 2 spaces. Finally, place the transported ship in any empty surrounding space.

seems to me that the pickup must take place before the movement begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terrorfirma wrote:
my guess would be that this is not allowed. the rules for the flagship's ability are written in a pretty clear sequence:

Place one of your ships that is in any surrounding space on top of the flagship. Then use the flagship’s move action to move the flagship 1 or 2 spaces. Finally, place the transported ship in any empty surrounding space.

seems to me that the pickup must take place before the movement begins.

TRUE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw somewhere on the forums here that the designer said if you can't move zero when you're transporting.
My friend thought he could move one and return - ending where he started. Is it allowed? Can you move somewhere and back in general? I thought no but was wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, as explained here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14048129#14048129

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But on the thread you linked there's a disagreement between you and wyckyd on that matter. You say contradictory things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Perrytom wrote:
But on the thread you linked there's a disagreement between you and wyckyd on that matter. You say contradictory things.

Thanks for the discussion everyone. This came up in another thread as well and so I have pasted my answer from that conversation here:

- To use the Flagship's Transport power, you must move 1 or 2 spaces.

- The Flagship picks up the ship to be transported, then moves, then drops it off in an empty square.

- There's nothing in the rules against starting and ending a movement in the same space.

This means it is perfectly valid to pick up a ship with a Flagship, have the Flagship move "back and forth" (ending up in the same space), and then drop off the transported ship in an empty square. You could call this a "zero move" transport, but it does use up an action and the Flagship's movement for that turn.

Hopefully that clears things up. Thanks again for playing Quantum!
-eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to post a thanks in here for all the input.

And especially for the official ruling.

Loving this game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.