1 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Daisy Doodle Dice reviews Ticket to Ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mommy gamer
msg tools
mbmbmb
To see the full review with pictures go to http://daisydoodledice.com/2014/03/17/ticket-to-ride/

This certainly isn’t a new game, but it is a classic.

Mfg. Age:8+

Our Age: 8+

Length: 45 min.

Players: 2-5

I really don’t want to spend a lot of time telling anyone how to play, because I figure most people have already played it, or at least heard of it.

It’s a pretty simple game. Basically you get tickets with a starting and ending destination. Once you get your trains built from one city to the other, it doesn’t matter how you got there as long as you got there, you get the points listed on the bottom right corner. Some tickets are worth significantly more than others, but are longer to complete.

On your turn you either take cards, or build track. You use the cards to build tracks.

You can also earn points by having the longest train, or the most completed tickets. These can win or lose the game for you.

The last way to earn points is every time you build track, you get points based on how many tracks were built that turn. If it was one track, you get 1 point, 2 tracks 2 points, 6 tracks is 15 points. So not only do you need to think about finishing your tickets, but it might be worth going a longer way to build longer tracks that are worth more points.

Now, on to what I think about the game. I really do think it’s a classic, even though we only get it out occasionally, I think it’s something that will continue to come out year after year. If you’re new to gaming, this is a great starter game and one that I think most people enjoy.

Differences between America and Europe. We love the American map, because that’s where we’re from and what we learn about in school, so when you look at a ticket it’s easy to know where you need to go without spending a lot of time staring at the map trying to find stuff. It’s also the one we learned first, and although silly and sentimental, I don't really like change so I continue to like the one I played first.

The one thing I like about Europe that America doesn’t have is the depot’s. We are very nice players, and only try to complete our own tickets without worrying too much about other players and cutting them off. In Europe when someone cuts you off, you can use a depot to help you complete a ticket. You don’t get additional points for placing your trains, but you can use someone’s track besides your own (just one track) to help you complete a ticket if they’re in your way. I’m sure some people like the cutthroat mean part of the game, it’s just not how we play it. It’s the reason we’ve never picked up Nordic Countries. We hear it’s a little meaner.

The biggest annoyance is the small cards that come in the original game. You can buy the 1910 expansion that replaces the little cards with regular sized cards, so at least there’s that, but it’s annoying that you have to buy an expansion to get them. It’s a minor thing and certainly not a reason not to get the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.