Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I know I'm not alone in being disappointed by the Mobile Defence Platform, which I had hoped would be a really difficult Environment but for the most part isn't. In fact I played a game yesterday where Haka was able to completely no-sell it using Enduring Intercession and a little bit of help from Argent Adept's Counterpoint Bulwark.

So I'm suggesting the following changes to the text of Shield Generator and Bridge. Where they say "Environment Targets", substitute "Environment and Villain Targets".

If that isn't dangerous enough, change the last line of MDP Turbolift from "destroy this card" to "play a Villain card and destroy this card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The MDP's main problem is that a lot of its cards only affect its other cards, but don't interfere with the heroes and villains, which means that it takes a long time for them to do anything relevant. (The worst is the repairman, does nothing but structures, when the structures themselves don't affect the heroes/villain either and just protect environment cards -so the repairman has two full degrees of separation from relevance, and at 2 HP can basically be killed accidentally.) And even when the deck does start attacking, it's like 2 damage to the hero with the highest HP from a 4 HP target - not much payoff even after so much setup.

There are two main ways to fix it. One is to errata the environment cards so that the previously-useless ones now do something strong directly, as you have done. It works, but it seems to me like at that point you may as well make an entirely new environment deck, since you're adding entirely new abilities to the environment that totally eclipse the original ones. We took a different approach, which I think keeps it more along the lines of the deck's intent, but makes it more effective:

1) The MDP gets two plays per environment turn instead of just one. That way it's not so bad that it takes several plays to do anything that matters.

2) The HP of all Minions in the environment deck is doubled.

With these changes the environment is still far from overwhelming, but we at least need to pay some attention to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
My issue really is that I had a game against the Chairman specifically so that I could see the Environment at work when it's accelerated, and it doesn't do very much. The Wraith can negate it entirely with two Mega Computers, and she only needs one while the Bridge isn't in play, unless you're playing against a Villain who can damage Environment Targets. Haka can do the same with Te Moko and Enduring Intercession as long as the Bridge isn't out, and even if it isn't out...at that stage, from the entire Environment deck, he takes just 12 damage in a 4 player game.

Unless you're playing against Voss or Akash'bhutha you don't have to kill the Minions, and because you don't have to kill the Minions, the Shield Generators are a positive benefit, because they protect the Propulsion Systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.