Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a casual player, Scorched Earth seems very strong. Two of them combined with the Agenda that lets you tag the runner (plus some cash) is a game over combo.

I wonder, In the competitive scene, do (or should) most runner decks run meat damage protection? Or do they fight the possibility of SE in other ways? What are the options?

The two things that come to mind are trying to keep the corp poor and/or racing them to try to win before they can pull it off.

I'm just curious as I try to keep my casual decks relatively balanced and I'd be interested to do it by making the runners better rather the 'seems a little strong' corp deck worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A large portion of decks nowadays do not care about tags. In such a case meat damage protection is a must. The most commonly used one is Plascrete Carpace. Crash Space also works, although it has the drawback of being a resource (hence it can be trashed). Do not forget to always refill your hand to 5 when facing such decks.

The posted bounty agenda that you mention needs 3 advancement points. Thus corp must install it, advance it 3 times...and wait for the next turn. Then he can play his ugly combo. This gives the runner a window to steal the agenda. If you see corp doing something like that make sure to run and steal the agenda yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TL Gorski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words. Plascrete. Carapace. Their are multiple ways to play around this but this card is probably one of the most prevalent.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using Decoy from the Core Set. Criminal Resource, 1 Credit to play, 2 Influence to splash. Two in the core set. Avoid the tag, avoid the death from above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorched gets a lot of play, but it can be forcibly discarded from a corps hand as it tends to just hang around until they can tag the runner.

There's plenty tag me deck lists out there that run loads of damage protection cards/public sympathy. My personal favorite was an Andromeda that had huge hand sizes/small rig/card draw and defensive cards, meaning it tore the ythrough Jinteki and shrugged off scorched earths.

Scorched earth still has a place, but it's much tougher to pull off these days than during the genesis cycle. There's so many other ways to get meat damage dealt than just scorched earth, a new agenda that deals damage when scored!

Always, runners will have account siphon to balance it out, but also will have bad publicity to mess around with too.

Sorry, a bit of a ramble there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
Nushura wrote:
The posted bounty agenda that you mention needs 3 advancement points. Thus corp must install it, advance it 3 times...and wait for the next turn. Then he can play his ugly combo. This gives the runner a window to steal the agenda. If you see corp doing something like that make sure to run and steal the agenda yourself

3 to be scored, but only 2 at the beginning of turn to be a threat for double Scorched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
As a casual player, Scorched Earth seems very strong. Two of them combined with the Agenda that lets you tag the runner (plus some cash) is a game over combo.

I wonder, In the competitive scene, do (or should) most runner decks run meat damage protection? Or do they fight the possibility of SE in other ways? What are the options?

The two things that come to mind are trying to keep the corp poor and/or racing them to try to win before they can pull it off.

I'm just curious as I try to keep my casual decks relatively balanced and I'd be interested to do it by making the runners better rather the 'seems a little strong' corp deck worse.

As others have said, the most straight forward way is Plascrete Carapace. This coupled with keeping some credits on hand to make the trace harder, not to mention a decent hand size, makes it much harder to nuke a runner. Don't forget that you can always discard cards for meat damage rather than use the Plascrete tokens; in that way you can take a bit of light damage saving the Carapace for the double SE.

New Angeles City Hall is a good way to avoid the tag on the cheap. You can play 2 credits when they try and tag you so simply avoid the tag. The only downside is as soon as you score an agenda it's gone, but you can always replace it by saving a click to install another from your hand after a run in which you might score an agenda.

Another good tactic is to run more often and force the corp to rez ice and keep them "more poor"; IE, perhaps it's hard to break Weyland but keeping their funds low forces them to wait a turn or two longer to build the economy to ensure the nuke. This will mean they have to keep their hand full with the combo and little else. Honestly, this is good advice against any corp as running a bit more often, even if it means hitting an end the run, forces them to rez and spend that stockpiled cash.

I suppose if you want to play a bit more metagamey you can simply use more cards like Forged Activation Orders, which makes the corp rez a target piece of ice or trash it. It will make them choose between saving the cash or protecting a server. Couple that with Criminal's favorite card, Account Siphon, and the pressure will be on the Weyland player to peform.

I know I've said Weyland time and time again, but even if they've decided to go NBN for a nuke deck the rest still stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, great info. Thanks for all the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.