Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules, watch the videos, stalked the BGG forums, I have studied the card list, I have pre-ordered a starter and a lot of boosters and as you can tell I am excited about the game.

I do have one concern and it stems from many years ago when Wizkids released, Pirates of the Spanish Main. When Wizkids released Pirates of the Spanish Main it was very popular. Quickly my local game store started a weekly game night. We would have 8-16 players each weak. But it was too popular and Wizkids had not estimated the demand. It sold out and it took a long time (in collectable game terms) to comeback in stock. By that time the group had faded and the store did not encourage the game because they sold no product. When it came back in stock, the group rarely had more than 4 players.

I know that Wizkids is a new and improved Wizkids but my fear is that they may not have anticipated the demand for this product. Will this game sell out quickly and be out of print for months? How quickly can they get out expansions (Or DC version) if this proves successful? I believe that games like this are best when you can introduce a new player to the game and they have access to the best cards/dice right away. And, I would like to see my FLGS embrace this game and have a regular game night where I can count on a good number of other players. I also, would like to see the game stay fresh. Wizkids does a good job of this with Heroclix. I see new sets on a fairly regular basis.

My hope is that my concern is unfounded.

Side Note: Don’t take me as good predictor of the future. I one time said, “I don’t see why are we connecting all these computers together. I want my printer on my desk. I don’t want to share one printer.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
https://twitter.com/thedicetower/status/446044621349478400

The first print run is already sold out, according to the dice tower. I assume that is at the publisher level.

The second print run is already in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play testing for more Marvel content is already underway and I think I read somewhere that DC (or was it Yu-Gi-Oh!?) will be out by December. So future development doesn't look to be an issue. Keeping things available, however... That's another story. Also, from what I know from my FLGS, we have more problems with Alliance Distribution (who happens to be the only WK distributor) than we do with WizKids directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Teague

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
They are already rolling out tournament prizes and such ,so it looks like Wizkids will be supporting the game. I think a lot of the success will be based on how their expansion cycle works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the groups faded with Pirates because everyone realized there wasn't much game there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
https://twitter.com/thedicetower/status/446044621349478400

The first print run is already sold out, according to the dice tower. I assume that is at the publisher level.

The second print run is already in progress.

Well it will depend on how long it will take to get the 2nd print run. Looks like my concern is well founded.

I cannot imagine how difficult it is to determine the success of a game when deciding how much to have in the first print run. I wonder how quickly they saw high orders in the distribution channel and started the 2nd print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the price point and attention this game is now getting your concern is not without merit. While Tom from the Dice Tower may not be the final word on what game is hot or not, his words carry weight and are not taken lightly. So when Tom gives his thumb(s) up on a game you know it has that something to make it a hit and worth ones time playing.

Now after getting a glowing review from someone a lot of people have come to trust and respect you also have another HUGE thing going for this game...the price. At $15 for the starter and $1 for the boosters you are talking crazy cheap. After you get past the $15 starter price you are looking at $1 booster packs, once again, $1 booster packs. I know, I know, I said it and you get it but this is HUGE.

So is there concern that this will sell out and we may find ourselves waiting for more $1 booster packs? I can see this happening unless Wizkids is watching their stock and keeping up with demand. However those who know anything about supply and demand know it is better to have them asking for more than having to much. Having worked in the retail market for over 15 years I can tell you that you want people asking for more than having it sit on your shelf waiting for it to go clearance. Yes, in a perfect world you would have just enough for everyone to be happy but that rarely happens.

On that note I had my preorder in weeks before Tom posted his review as I like some of the Marvel characters, enjoy Quarriors!, and last but certainly not least...the price point. Now we hear that the first batch is already sold out. Hmmm, this might be even bigger than Wizkids had imagined...and the game is not releasing until April 23rd, a little more than a month out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.