Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any good ones that aren't pickup and deliver? I was checking out Planet Steam but it seems the theme is pasted on but I do like the art of the latest FFG version. Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you are looking for. Leviathans is a pretty cool war game.

I haven't played it, but 011 might fit the bill.

Spyrium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need something for 2 players with nice art and components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Need something for 2 players with nice art and components.

Leviathans might be your best bet for two players with nice components.

Spyrium is a great game, but I'm not sure how it plays with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have enough war games, I'm open to genres though. Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard about Spyrium, need to check it out further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Steam Noir if you can muster 3-5 players. I happen to have a copy up in the Marketplace.

I just parted with my copy of Mission Red Planet - but that's also 3-5 players.

One other game to consider is Dust. Great components, and cards have good artwork on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for Mission Red Planet.
Steam Park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions but the game really needs to support 2. I forgot about Dust, it looks amazing but I think we have too many area control games. I will look at it further. Can anyone comment on these:

Sky Traders
City of Iron
The Phantom Society
Gearworld: The Borderlands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Steam was based on, or inspired by, the old computer game M.U.L.E. I think it works thematically.

Another vote for Spyrium. It was one of my top games of last year. I've it played it with every number except 2 though, but it seems like it would work well.

City of Iron is an interesting action selection/deck building game you should look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll comment on Planet Steam since you're considering it.

The theme is almost nonexistent. The bits and everything look really cool, but at its heart, Planet Steam is a market manipulation game. I thought it was alright...had some cool mechanics that not many of my other games have...but in the end I traded it because it just wasn't a game I could see myself playing very often at all.

I've heard great things about City of Iron. Looks like an interesting game.

The Game Boy Geek did a review for Phantom Society over at the Dice Tower, and it looks pretty fun. I have a feeling it would get a little old after a few plays though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played two, the most steampunk is City of Iron

But I also would +1 Spyrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm biased because I'm the author.

Yet, if a steampunk brawler could fit with your tastes, there is also C.O.A.L.: Combat-Oriented Armored League.

Also, works best 1 VS 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About Spyrium: I enjoy the game very much, however, I think it's at its weakest with only 2 players. Money will be very scarce. Some people even don't recommend it with 2. If possible, try before you buy (though, as I said, the game is excellent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khronos
Mars Needs Mechanics

Both are on the more "abstracted" side as far as theme goes, but they both support 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gearworld: The Borderlands - not a particularly popular game here on the geek and not one that garnered much praise either. However, if you push past the needlessly complex rule book (there are some brilliant rule summaries to be found on here to help aid you) you'll find a neat game. It's a resource management, high conflict driven game. Combat is deterministic so there is no luck to be found here what so ever. Plenty of opportunity to form and break alliances with your foes. If this sounds like something you'd like, give it a look. It's worth your time.

Oh, it's also published by FFG, so the components and board are fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Traders looks like something we would enjoy but I worry it's too similar to Merchants & Marauders which we already own but it looks promising. Spyrium could work but we already have a few worker placement games and the 2-player reviews are mixed. Gearworld and Kronos look boring. Mission: Red Planet seems perfect but it doesn't support 2 players. I'll have to revist City of Iron but I got bored watching a few videos but it seems like it might have some unique ideas. Planet Steam might be cool since we don't have any economic games but it might not be very fun for us either.

I'd like to hear from anyone about Sky Traders or City of Iron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet is a rather good steampunk themed area control game with a central role selection mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Mission: Red Planet is a rather good steampunk themed area control game with a central role selection mechanic

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15230661#15230661
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... if you squint, Forbidden Desert has a kind of Steampunkish feel. The ship you're trying to build (nice components!) has a Steampunk flair, as does the city you are slowly excavating from under the sand. And it works great with 2, tho of course it's a co-op.

I haven't played City of Iron, but in his video review, Rahdo (who specializes in 2-player) seemed to think the game didn't work as well with just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
Planet Steam was based on, or inspired by, the old computer game M.U.L.E. I think it works thematically.

Don't want to derail this much, but does it do a decent job of actually getting the feel of M.U.L.E.? I loved that game.

Wish someone would update it for a modern computer/tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Is there any good ones that aren't pickup and deliver? I was checking out Planet Steam but it seems the theme is pasted on but I do like the art of the latest FFG version. Any other suggestions?

Is there any game (maybe with the exception of Mission Red Planet) in which the steampunk theme is NOT pasted on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Is there any game (maybe with the exception of Mission Red Planet) in which the steampunk theme is NOT pasted on?

Good question. Can Mission Red Planet be played with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Kaermo wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Good question. Can Mission Red Planet be played with 2?

Haven't played it myself so I can't tell but the entry in the database says no and when you look at the suggested # of players it seems like most gamers agree with that statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kings of Air and Steam doesn't feel at all pasted on to me. I rather enjoy it for a pick up and delivery game.

For a wargame, there's Leviathans. It's pricey, but the minis are wonderful, and the gameplay itself is pretty fun. This one initially feels a bit like naval warfare with a pasted on steampunk theme, but the advanced rules bring out the theme better (some rules for height and other options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out a game called CLASH! sort of like a steampunk Netrunner (IE: card game, assymmetric, 2P)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.