BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there one acknowledged brand of sleeve everyone recommends, or do different people have different favorites? I have a couple of games coming in soon I am going to want to sleeve, and never have before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! What games, Suzanna? I've sleeved a couple games but have had several of them rip down the side (both premium and regular). This happened during game play, not "shuffling".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It depends on quality and price point wanted.

Ultra Pro, FFG and Dragon Shield all make nice sleeves... but can be pricey. Mayday sleeves are not as high quality... but are cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of which brand(s) you end up choosing, this is a great resource for making sure you get the right number and sizes:

Card Sleeve Sizes for Games

Edited to add: To actually contribute an answer the question, I mostly have had experience with the cheap Mayday sleeves. I heard that a lot of people had problems with them, but they worked without a hitch for me (sizing, usability, protection). They obviously aren't rigid, so I've had a couple cards in sleeves get folded, but that's not something I'd expect a sleeve to protect against, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichelleOH wrote:
Congrats! What games, Suzanna? I've sleeved a couple games but have had several of them rip down the side (both premium and regular). This happened during game play, not "shuffling".

Well, I had been hoping for Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper, but that fell through. I don't really know if any of the others I have coming in this week are worth it. I suppose it depends on your philosophy on the subject. I've met people at games day who had every card they owned sleeved, and that seems perfectly valid (especially if you're taking your games to be handled by tons of strangers!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve almost everything, I may have a problem. One of the reasons I sleeve is for ease of shuffling with out damaging the cards via a side shuffle, not sure if I'm using the proper nomenclature.

I find Fantasy Flight sleeves best for the following reasons. A) There are nice and thick, B) They do not stick when shuffling, and C) They are available in most sizes I require readily available.

I didn't care for Mayday sleeve mostly because they stick to each other like glue. It drove me crazy crazier.

I did want to try Ultra Pro matte sleeves however they did't come in most sizes and they didn't seem to have a clear backed version.

Swan sleeves also = glue and my search ended after that with FFG sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Intile
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
I have found Fantasy Flight Sleeves to be great quality, and they come in a lot of sizes. They are kind of more rigid than Mayday's but I like that. I have never tried Mayday Premium though.

But FF sleeves are great for shuffling, nice and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Mayday, Ultra Pro, FFG and Swan.

Get premium if you afford them. All of the above are good. I'm not a fan of the Ultra Pro because of the small hologram on each sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.