Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been sticking with Romulans in my OPs even though I've had varied success. I've had trouble in the past using their maneuverability without getting destroyed. We get a lot of Klingons at my OPs, and I made the mistake early on trying to match dice stacking and jousting. Terrible idea! Finally got a build that I'm happy with, and it has worked really well. It's dead simple too.

Admiral's Orders: United Force

Valdore Class (28)
Toreth (4)
Tactical Officer (3)

Valdore Class (28)
Donatra (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Bochra (1)

Valdore Class (28)
Valdore (3)
Tactical Officer (3)

Command Tokens (5)
Battlestations, Attack Reroll, Attack +1, Defense Reroll, Defense Pick side

Bochra is there to finish the build only, and throw onto DS 9 if your opponent isn't really going to challenge you for it. This build is all about splitting your fleet and using maneuverability to hit your opponent from three sides. Donatra is the one captain I'd consider switching out since splitting the fleet kind of negates her advantage. However, I was good about maneuvering her into a helpful position at advantageous times. With tac officers you're pretty much guaranteed to hit damn near all of your dice each time. I hit with 7 multiple times with Valdore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran that same build for Month 5. It did ok. The problem arises when you run up against cloaked fleets (which there seems to be a majority of in our meta). I too often found myself not getting a chance to ever get a target lock in order to make use of the Tactical Officers. Aside from the opening barrage, there was always something more important to do that use my action for a target lock. That said, if you are taking the Command Tokens why are you not taking the free target lock as one of your choices? It seems like a no brainer in a Tactical officer heavy build.

It wasn't a bad build by any means, I took second that month, but I felt like the Tactical Officer points could have been spent on something more useful (not that I know what I would use them on).

Its's all a mute point here though, as the Admiral Orders have long since been gotten rid of. Even Wizkids said that they were an Optional rule to be used occasionally, but it seems a lot of players and venues have just adopted them permanently. As much as I enjoyed trying them out, I'm glad they are gone here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ender02, you will get much better effect out of that free target lock then you will +1 attack die on the command tokens.

I too am surprised at all the builds I read online still using admirals orders. My one venue banned them after the first month they were used and the other after month 5. I guess a lot of TO are stretching that "occasionally" statement from wizkids.

If you plan to split up you fleet you might get more millage from Letant than yoi will Donatra. He is still skill 6, but his ability to make someone reroll a crit works well on the Valdor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you are sticking with faction-pure? If not, there are MUCH better builds to do with Romulan ships...

Sticking faction pure, you have a tricky thing to balance with Romulan ships. The TacOff might appear required for them, as they have no 'battle stations' action, which means their chances to modify the attack dice are...limited. Of course, when facing other cloakers...you've got a problem. I used to use TacOff ALL the time, until out local meta caught on (got tired of me winning), so we started seeing pairs of Vor'Chas showing up with Advanced Weapons Systems.

That was...an unpleasant match. And I stopped using TacOffs...

What I've found works a *touch* better is pairing ships with the Romulan Flagship, which allows re-rolls for nearby Romulan ships. IE., like a target lock - but you don't have to take an action to use it, AND can use it against cloakers.

Since it seems like you are using Admiral's Orders (a nice buff to the Feds mostly), maybe look at...

Quote:
Admiral's Order: United Force (0)

Resource: Flagship Romulan (10)

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Letant (4)
Flagship (0)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 37

Valdore-class (28)
Toreth (4)
Ship SP: 32

Valdore-class (28)
Valdore (3)
Ship SP: 31

Total Build SP: 110

The Aj'Rmr gets re-rolls as it takes damage, and Letant *helps* ensure that damage isn't critical (not a guarantee, but helps). Then the flagship provides re-rolls to the two Valdores (up to range 2, which is pretty generous).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get rid of the Tac Officers and Command Tokens, and plant the Romulan flagship on Donatra. Your two other ships now get +1 weapons and free re-rolls on attacks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Porter
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great list, but what are you going to do once AO's are gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Tac. Off. X3
Valdore x3
93 points

He will have seven points for captains.

Not A lot, but doable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Since it seems like you are using Admiral's Orders (a nice buff to the Feds mostly), maybe look at...

Quote:

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Letant (4)
Flagship (0)
Interphase Generator (3)

Valdore-class (28)
Toreth (4)

Valdore-class (28)
Valdore (3)

Unless there are some erratas I am unaware of, this list is highly illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

Right this doesn't work as united forces is +10 points of upgrades. So no captains, ships or resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gould
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Quote:

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Letant (4)
Flagship (0)
Interphase Generator (3)

Valdore-class (28)
Toreth (4)

Valdore-class (28)
Valdore (3)

I'm not seeing anything that sticks out that is wrong with it. What is it that makes you think it is an "illegal" build?

[edit] I take that back. You can only use United Force for upgrades. The flagship resource is not an upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gotg wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Quote:

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Letant (4)
Flagship (0)
Interphase Generator (3)

Valdore-class (28)
Toreth (4)

Valdore-class (28)
Valdore (3)

I'm not seeing anything that sticks out that is wrong with it. What is it that makes you think it is an "illegal" build?

[edit] I take that back. You can only use United Force for upgrades. The flagship resource is not an upgrade.

The 10 points for UF have to be spent on upgrades. Can't spend them on captains or resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I assume you are sticking with faction-pure? If not, there are MUCH better builds to do with Romulan ships...

Sticking faction pure, you have a tricky thing to balance with Romulan ships. The TacOff might appear required for them, as they have no 'battle stations' action, which means their chances to modify the attack dice are...limited. Of course, when facing other cloakers...you've got a problem. I used to use TacOff ALL the time, until out local meta caught on (got tired of me winning), so we started seeing pairs of Vor'Chas showing up with Advanced Weapons Systems.

That was...an unpleasant match. And I stopped using TacOffs...

What I've found works a *touch* better is pairing ships with the Romulan Flagship, which allows re-rolls for nearby Romulan ships. IE., like a target lock - but you don't have to take an action to use it, AND can use it against cloakers.

Quote:

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Letant (4)
Flagship (0)
Interphase Generator (3)

Valdore-class (28)
Toreth (4)

Valdore-class (28)
Valdore (3)

The Aj'Rmr gets re-rolls as it takes damage, and Letant *helps* ensure that damage isn't critical (not a guarantee, but helps). Then the flagship provides re-rolls to the two Valdores (up to range 2, which is pretty generous).

Sticking with Faction pure for UF. Most of the fleets in my meta don't run cloaking very much. So target lock + tac officers is great.

As for why I didn't take the free target lock command token, it's a one time use only, and I'd rather get the one time +1 die for a big attack. That's why I also have the battlestations. When I got things lined up I was able to use battlestations with a ship that had double re-rolls and 7 attack dice. This has the potential to finish almost any ship I would face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

Right this doesn't work as united forces is +10 points of upgrades. So no captains, ships or resources.

Good catch - sorry, AO hasn't been used in our area since January, little out of practice with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked the Interphase Generator... so I would either use a flagship that allowed the tech upgrade... or throw in a D'Deridex too...

I'm thinking of flying a Romulan build for the final op 6 - but only with Interphase generators and CLOAKED MINES! WOO HOO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.