Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured Variants was the right place for this, since it's not real, but what if FFG released a second Core Set. I don't mean an updated version of the original Core set, I mean an all new Core Set.

It would have 7 new ID's (one of each of the 7 factions) and then have 1 set of neutral Corp cards and 1 set of Neutral Runner cards that you would mix in to a select number of faction-specific Corp/Runner cards (just like the original Core Set), to form 'starter decks.'

Of course all the cards would be different from the original Core set.

This would give people getting into the game 2 options to start with, or to really change things up, if you and a friend got into it at the same time, you could each get different core sets. All that aside, it would open up new possibilities and deckbuilding opportunities for ANR.

Alternatively, this could just be a Mega Expansion with support for all 7 factions.

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's unlikely, since FFG has never released an alternate core set for any other LCG.

I would appreciate it if they released a new core set with some 3-of new cards, 2 copies of all the original core set 1-ofs, and 1 copy of all the core set 2-ofs, though. (Well, maybe 2 Rabbit Holes, having only one of those would be silly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea that you mention has normally been suggested with the Deluxe expansions.

That is, in order to have "different" introductory modes buy the core set and deluxe expansion "bla". This goes very well with Call of Cthulhu in which there are two generalist deluxe expansions...but in Netrunner these expansions are focused (Shaper/HB and Criminal/Jinteki), so it is not so useful after all.

In any case, FFG does not seem interested in getting more people hooked into Netrunner. Once it becomes hard to jump into the game they simply release another LCG for people to enter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fans would buy it so it's not exactly a bad money making path...It'd essentially be treated as a beefed up deluxe box expansion. I actually prefer expansion packs that give cards to all factions so I'd probably get it (for now I'm only buying data packs). Maybe the concern is consumers would be confused or turned off at seeing different "core" sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
This idea that you mention has normally been suggested with the Deluxe expansions.

That is, in order to have "different" introductory modes buy the core set and deluxe expansion "bla"

Users can still buy the deluxe expansions to play a "stand alone" core set. So it works out pretty well as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also thay want to control the flow of the new cards that enter each time to see the power level and to keep people from making new decks.

A new core of 250+ cards is a massive addition to the card pool and a lot of balancing and power creep will be necessary.

There will never gonna be something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Maier
msg tools
I don´t think the amount of new cards would be a big problem. Cards are designed well in advance and as whole cycles. It could be considered as a new cycle released at once.

I think it would be terrible for the game honestly. I haven´t been playing as much as I used to, and I might not buy multiple copies of another core set! A lot of people might get out of the game.

Edit: I would love a bigger boost to the cardpool but only if there are three copies of each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
In any case, FFG does not seem interested in getting more people hooked into Netrunner. Once it becomes hard to jump into the game they simply release another LCG for people to enter

Wow. This is just *fractally* wrong. I know for a fact, from interviews with FFG staff on Team Covenant's YouTube page and various podcasts, that they're still trying to grow the player base of even their longest-running LCGs.

The notion that they're going to abandon growth on a lucrative product line after a year and a half is just risible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

I'm curious if this was posted before or after FFG announced the new Warhammer 40K LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heyvince wrote:
Nushura wrote:

I'm curious if this was posted before or after FFG announced the new Warhammer 40K LCG.

It was after

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.