Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
henry schweichler
United States
amherst
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Supreme CommanderMy question is in regard to the technology cards: For example, armor technology at level 1 and 2 has the same result of a +1 benefit; likewise at level 3 and 4, a +2 benefit. Why would a player spend so much for no added benefit when gaining a higher technology level, as shown above. Please explain or are we missing something in the rules. This is also true for infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry schweichler
United States
amherst
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with the response that the 'designer never intended for a player to max out all his tech', but the rules are very vague, in regard to the benefits of the higher technology, if any, and was upsetting in our recent game, as the axis player presumed there would be a greater reward and had based his future purchases and strategy on these assumptions (especially since naval, air and submarine do have increases at each technology level). During the game, with the many decisions that are required, especially long-term, it was presumed that each technology had an incremental benefit, and did not realize that a higher level in armor and infantry, there was no change, and these MSP could have been used elsewhere.

Further, there is no mention in the rules that certain higher technology levels for infantry and armor will have no immediate benefit; for example on the technology cards, naval and air DO have added benefits at each higher technology level. And where do atomic energy, jets and rockets appear in the strategy of the game, since so much of a nations GNP (or MSP in the game) are devoted to technology decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally, they added +1 for every level, but in playtesting this was found to be too powerful, so it was made to be plus "half" the tech level, but the old Tech Cards were confusing to people, so we changed it to be more explicit.

Yes, at Tech level 2, you do not gain anything. The person should have looked at the Tech Card before making his purchase . But, in all seriousness, this is just something that was missed the first time playing the game. It won't be missed again and it was just an oversight by the person. I'd venture to say we all miss things, or mis-play things, the first time we play a wargame. Heck, I've been playing World in Flames for over 20 years and Wendell /still/ corrects me on things I've been doing wrong!

Also, note that at INF tech 4, you gain a +1 MP...so there is still an added benefit at INF tech 4 (the only ones that have no immediate benefit are INF tech 2 and Armor tech 2 and 4)...but you need to buy those if you want to get to the even higher benefits later.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry, I consider the "intemediate" levels to be the time and money spent in research and development which must be undertaken before putting the next higher level of tech into production and fielding.
Enjoy.

~ Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.