Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: empty systems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do the 2 wormhole systems count as empty systems?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It partly depends on the context of what you are referring to.

For map building purposes (when using the expansion, where it tells you to remove empty systems), an empty system is one without planets, which would include red systems (except the two from Shards that have planets in them).

For the preset maps, it seems to use the term empty in mostly the same way, except it puts the special (red) systems in a separate category.

For gameplay purposes, however, such as for action cards, etc it's a completely different definition: an empty system in that context is one that has no units (including PDS, GF, etc), planets or no planets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:
It partly depends on the context of what you are referring to.

For map building purposes (when using the expansion, where it tells you to remove empty systems), an empty system is one without planets, which would include red systems (except the two from Shards that have planets in them).

For the preset maps, it seems to use the term empty in mostly the same way, except it puts the special (red) systems in a separate category.

For gameplay purposes, however, such as for action cards, etc it's a completely different definition: an empty system in that context is one that has no units (including PDS, GF, etc), planets or no planets.


Shattered Empire forward, map building rules also differentiate between special and empty systems. Also I think the red bordered planets are included in the special systems, rather than the regular.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you are right, when I was looking at the book, I somehow didn't notice that. I blame the late night and the sleep deprivation caused by the baby!

So my "map building purposes" and "prebuilt maps" items are really the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
It partly depends on the context of what you are referring to.

For map building purposes (when using the expansion, where it tells you to remove empty systems), an empty system is one without planets, which would include red systems (except the two from Shards that have planets in them).

For the preset maps, it seems to use the term empty in mostly the same way, except it puts the special (red) systems in a separate category.

For gameplay purposes, however, such as for action cards, etc it's a completely different definition: an empty system in that context is one that has no units (including PDS, GF, etc), planets or no planets.


Isn't that just another annoying rules writing error?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ah, you are right, when I was looking at the book, I somehow didn't notice that. I blame the late night and the sleep deprivation caused by the baby!

So my "map building purposes" and "prebuilt maps" items are really the same.

OY!
So he's here! CONGRATULATIONS!

(If you said this already, I missed it.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
It partly depends on the context of what you are referring to.

For map building purposes (when using the expansion, where it tells you to remove empty systems), an empty system is one without planets, which would include red systems (except the two from Shards that have planets in them).

For the preset maps, it seems to use the term empty in mostly the same way, except it puts the special (red) systems in a separate category.

For gameplay purposes, however, such as for action cards, etc it's a completely different definition: an empty system in that context is one that has no units (including PDS, GF, etc), planets or no planets.


Isn't that just another annoying rules writing error?

Maybe, but they are used in such different contexts that I don't really think it's that big a deal. In the base game, the map-building "empty" wasn't even really used, it wasn't until Shattered Empire that it was used in that fashion in any meaningful way.

akinfantryman wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ah, you are right, when I was looking at the book, I somehow didn't notice that. I blame the late night and the sleep deprivation caused by the baby!

So my "map building purposes" and "prebuilt maps" items are really the same.

OY!
So he's here! CONGRATULATIONS!

(If you said this already, I missed it.)

Yes, he came on Feb 28th. I updated my "parent of" microbadge, but I need to update the other badge!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
akinfantryman wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ah, you are right, when I was looking at the book, I somehow didn't notice that. I blame the late night and the sleep deprivation caused by the baby!

So my "map building purposes" and "prebuilt maps" items are really the same.

OY!
So he's here! CONGRATULATIONS!

(If you said this already, I missed it.)

Yes, he came on Feb 28th. I updated my "parent of" microbadge, but I need to update the other badge!

And I blame the late lights taking care of my daughter for not noticing that!

My girl continues to improve, by the way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
Yes, he came on Feb 28th. I updated my "parent of" microbadge, but I need to update the other badge!

And I blame the late lights taking care of my daughter for not noticing that![/q]
Well, that was a pretty small change; the previous microbadge looked almost the same, just had the little boy in the middle of all the girls. I just barely updated my Uberbadge yesterday, though

Quote:
My girl continues to improve, by the way.

That is excellent news! I'm very glad to hear it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.