Subject: Can 2 Market cards be played together for combined effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A player wanted to play both market cards at the same time to get double the trade value for his gems, which would have been very powerful. I said I didn't think you should be able to use them at the same time, but rather resolve them one at a time (which of course prevents this). While you can play the elephant and the other tent placement card combo together (as mentioned in the rules), those do not have the same effect, but accomplish 2 different benefits at the same time. Here, 2 markets would be used to trade in gems once, but for the total value of both markets together. Any thoughts? Other than the combo mentioned in the rules, no other cards are used together in the rules, which seems to count for something. That, and the fact that this would be a huge benefit to the lucky player who gets both markets, and has some good gems in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Hall
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it to your friend. (S)he is clever. I play that only one of a certain type of card can be played together, but you can play multiple different cards at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
tactitles wrote:
Here, 2 markets would be used to trade in gems once, but for the total value of both markets together.

While any number of cards may be played at once on a player's turn (rulebook p.2), each card has an explicitly stated effect.

Play it thematically. Each market card represents a market at which you can sell your gems. If you sell some gems to one market, then you no longer possess those gems and so cannot sell them at another market. Play this card thematically, and it eliminates the option of compounding the cards' effect.

The following is merely my opinion:
No offense to your friend, but arguing a point like this utterly reduces a game to boring mechanics and convenient [for him/her at the time] interpretations/house rules, and ruins some of the fun for everyone else. Moreover, it stands to reason that if the designer felt it necessary to name the only cards "combo" that makes perfect, indisputable, common sense, then no other such cards combos exist. After all, playing that combo (free tent + any row) is perfectly in step with the rules, and hardly seems worthy of mention.

One could reasonably play both markets in the same round, but there is zero sense in playing both of them in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
pikabud wrote:
I'll give it to your friend. (S)he is clever. I play that only one of a certain type of card can be played together, but you can play multiple different cards at once.

Per the rules, you can play multiple cards of the same type at once, or rather consecutively. For example, there's no reason you couldn't play both "move the boat back" cards on the same turn. Each time you play that card, the boat moves back one space--a total of 2 spaces back if played the same turn. Nothing in the rules against such plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.