Subject: Handling collisions past the template rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've always had a way of handling this, but was surprised this weekend when I found some people approach it differently. One of the fun parts of moving to a new area of the country, I suppose Am curious enough to toss it out and see what everyone else does.

So, when you have a collision which would leave your ship mostly off the end of the template, how do you position the ship? The angle for the ship is the biggest issue, and that can obviously affect the actual position as well. What angle do you put it at, and how do you arrive at that? The most extreme example of this is a Falcon doing a 1-speed Turn. If you collide at some point (assume there's a ship around the midpoint of where the Falcon would land) what angle does it end up at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boon Yeo
Malaysia
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are to follow the template backwards and stop at the point where there is just contact between the bases. In that case, the facing should be as per the template too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvils Feldmanis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i understood you correctly, then you slide your ship on top of template (Straigt, or is it 90 degree template) and stop it when you "touch" another ship.

But if your ship would end its move on asteroid, then you stay on asteroid and do rest as per rules.

Edit: what 1st guy told, and dammit again bit late for 1st post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gaean wrote:
You are to follow the template backwards and stop at the point where there is just contact between the bases. In that case, the facing should be as per the template too.

The facing is the question though.

I should probably visualize this, but let's try description first.

The core of it - when do you turn to follow the template? Which set of guides matter when one or the other is off the template?

I think the "which guides" is the key question. When you start backing up, which part of the base gets compared to the template to determine facing? Is it the rear guides? The front? The center?

For example, if it's the rear guides, when you start backing up your ship will start to pivot immediately. The front end will swing wide, and you'll be at your original facing very quickly, continuing to back up from there.

If it's the front guides, you get the opposite effect. The ship backs straight from its final position until the front guides are on the template, then it swings quickly around to its original facing.

These two options give very different ending positions/facing. The rulebook actually isn't much help. It says to "adjust it so that the template remains centered between both sets of guides on the ship's base". That's nice when you've got a long bank and a small base, but what do you do when the entire template fits under the base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
I've started using the Vassal solution of using a straight template connected to the rear of the template you're on - as your ship was straight before that point, so the rear guides ought to line up to where you were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
we try to follow as closely to increments of 45deg as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Can, um, we go back to calc? That'd be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.