Subject: Would you purchase a game to capitalize on a new print run? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've discovered a few games in the last few weeks that I'm interested in but I'm made a commitment to playing what I have and simply doing without. But, it seems like every time I come across a 'new' game that I'm interested in playing later on, it's always between print runs and sometimes just out of print. In some cases new print runs are in the works.

The question is, would you capitalise on a new print run of a game for fear of not being able to purchase said game in the future? This is even if you set a budget, made resolutions or already have other games to play E.g. Betrayal at House on the Hill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Devine
Australia
Lara
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prioritise game purchases based on both a scoring system (which is, in turn, based on my wishlist) and its availability (i.e. small print runs from small publishers get a higher ranking) for this very reason.

Most of the time, it works out... sometimes I have to hit the credit card up a month in advance and steal from next month's budget I always try to keep a buffer in the budget to account for this though, and it works for the most part.

I do probably have a good 10-15 games on my shelf that are unplayed because of this.. but I'll get around to them eventually! (At least, that's what I keep telling myself.. lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It really depends on whether or not I think the game will be readily available when I do decide I want it. Large publishers will eventually do another run, or a larger run on a popular game. Small publishers sometimes never get to a second run.

That being said... If the game is highly rated, you can probably sell it later if you don't get around to playing it (many times at a small profit). I am definitely on the less conservative side when it comes to games, but it completely depends on the situation, and sometimes my wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to this hobby. I own a whopping 8 games most of which I've gotten over the last month for my birthday, so many of those 8 are unplayed (my husband and I have been playing 1 a week since my birthday). I had Carnival Zombie on my wish list and ordered it yesterday when it came in stock because I'm scared it will sell out again. Of course to get free shipping I also got Erdrich horror and some booster packs of mtg. Haha. Betrayal at house on the hill has my attention too....most likely I'm going to wait on that one. I figure any game that's been on tabletop is going to continue to get printed. Of course I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
No. Print runs go out of stock at the publisher and warehouse, but can be found on the shelves of shops years later. And also quite easily here or on ebay.

And if it's just a game that I'm interested in, not one that I've actually played and wish to possess because I really enjoyed it, then it matters even less.

I really don't understand this mentality I see running through BGG of "oooh, shiny, it must be mine!!, even though I've never played it (and will probably never find the time to play it)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Kmumansky wrote:
I'm new to this hobby. I own a whopping 8 games most of which I've gotten over the last month for my birthday, so many of those 8 are unplayed (my husband and I have been playing 1 a week since my birthday). I had Carnival Zombie on my wish list and ordered it yesterday when it came in stock because I'm scared it will sell out again. Of course to get free shipping I also got Erdrich horror and some booster packs of mtg. Haha. Betrayal at house on the hill has my attention too....most likely I'm going to wait on that one. I figure any game that's been on tabletop is going to continue to get printed. Of course I could be wrong.

You might be . The vast majority of games belonging to this hobby will never see another printing. Only those that sell really well, and which the publisher is sure can be sold out again (and in a reasonably short time) get reprinted. And with a database of almost 70,000 items, this is not unreasonable.

The majority of games that have been on Tabletop have already seen multiple printings, but not all, and there's no particular reason for them to continue choosing such games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost never worry about games going out of print. There are always new games coming out. Far more new games than I could every play, so if something goes out of print, then there are usually 4 or 5 newer games that I would rather play anyway. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that "capitalize" is the right word here. Also, what is this word "budget"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Everything is available in the aftermarket. If the time is right, buy it. If not you'll likely get it cheaper in trade or purchasing used. One more thing -- first print runs often suck. 2nd print runs often fix problems.

The worst thing you can do is have half a dozen games unplayed, because some of them will likely stay that way. When you buy games one at a time each gets a chance to be the "new" game and gets the attention it should in order to get your money's worth. Buying when you have a stack of unplayeds makes for shelf toads.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I'm not sure that "capitalize" is the right word here. Also, what is this word "budget"?

Yeah capitalize in the thread title suggests you are going to buy up some copies to sell for profit when the game goes OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Kmumansky wrote:
...I figure any game that's been on tabletop is going to continue to get printed. Of course I could be wrong.

The majority of games that have been on Tabletop have already seen multiple printings, but not all, and there's no particular reason for them to continue choosing such games.

Judging by the prominence of the "As Seen On Tabletop!" racks in a number of FLGSs around me, I think there's very good reason to assume the show will continue to (primarily) feature games that have seen multiple printings, and larger publishers - these are the games that people new to the hobby will easily find and feel comfortable trying. If Tabletop's mission is to spread the hobby to new people, and new players are more likely to choose games they've already seen because they know those games look fun, then Tabletop will want to show games with easy and continued availability. Choosing games that'll have out-of-stock cycles driving the price to double or triple is only going to discourage new gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Everything is available in the aftermarket. If the time is right, buy it. If not you'll likely get it cheaper in trade or purchasing used. One more thing -- first print runs often suck. 2nd print runs often fix problems.

The worst thing you can do is have half a dozen games unplayed, because some of them will likely stay that way. When you buy games one at a time each gets a chance to be the "new" game and gets the attention it should in order to get your money's worth. Buying when you have a stack of unplayeds makes for shelf toads.

S.

Yes.

Even if something goes out of print, the aftermarket mark-up isn't that huge, especially if you're willing to consider gently worn pieces. The money you spend buying one game that you're not sure about, but end up not liking, will probably be more than the premium you pay on 2-3 games that go out of stock.

Sure, if you're sure you want a game, and you see that they just did a new print run, may as well buy it. But I wouldn't let the availability push me too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Yeah capitalize in the thread title suggests you are going to buy up some copies to sell for profit when the game goes OOP.

Not particularly. You could insert in, "take advantage of" or, "seize the chance", both of which would be synonyms, and not change the meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
thefishman wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Not particularly. You could insert in, "take advantage of" or, "seize the chance", both of which would be synonyms, and not change the meaning.

Which is what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyMostlyDead wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Kmumansky wrote:
...I figure any game that's been on tabletop is going to continue to get printed. Of course I could be wrong.

Judging by the prominence of the "As Seen On Tabletop!" racks in a number of FLGSs around me, I think there's very good reason to assume the show will continue to (primarily) feature games that have seen multiple printings, and larger publishers - these are the games that people new to the hobby will easily find and feel comfortable trying. If Tabletop's mission is to spread the hobby to new people, and new players are more likely to choose games they've already seen because they know those games look fun, then Tabletop will want to show games with easy and continued availability. Choosing games that'll have out-of-stock cycles driving the price to double or triple is only going to discourage new gamers.

That's pretty much what I meant. Tabletop is partly responsible for me getting into this hobby. I have a niece and nephew that I spoil during the holidays. They are soooooooo into video games I like to get them stuff that gets them away from the tv & computer and makes them be around people and use their brains in a different wAy. So I started researching board games and stumbled across tabletop. I've never had a hard time finding a game they've played on that show. Of course, I haven't looked for every single game either but the ones I have looked for have been easy to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.