Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I thought I had already posted this, but I can't find it anymore, so here it goes again)

We love Onirim with 2 players. Everyone always seems to focus on it being a single player game, but I feel it shines with two. The shared hand mechanic is very clever, as is dividing the doors equally between players. It's a lot of fun!

So when we got Urbion (or, as my version is called, Equilibrion), we immediately tried the 2-player. And.. we didn't really like it. I also played some single player games, and those were fun enough, but two player just wasn't. The polarity switching usually makes at least half of your hand useless in a way that feels very different from having the `wrong' cards in Onirim, and there is no `ownership' of goals or abilities.

So we came up with a variant. It definitely makes the game easier, but it also makes it more fun. It seems pretty obvious now, but we tried a bunch of other stuff that didn't work before coming up with this one:

divide the dream deck in two: a negative and a positive deck, with an equal amount of chaos cards each. If you play with the hybrid dreams, divide those too. One player plays the positive deck, the other the negative one. There is no polarity switching.

That's it! For us this pretty much fixed the game, so if you felt similarly disappointed about Urbion's two player version, give it a try. If you feel it makes the game too easy, drop out some cards like you would when you use the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant and simple idea!
If it becomes too easy, have you tried to play this variant with the addition that you're not allowed to talk about which cards you have in your hand?
Would that make sense (except for being less cooperative)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, that could actually be pretty interesting, because that creates plenty of opportunity to screw things up. But without actually trying it I'm not sure if it would create fun, challenging screw-ups, or frustrating, random screw-ups.

I'll give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zakimos Kleidos
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very good and simple idea. It really fixes the 2p, IMO.

The only thing I don't like is the initial setup: you always have one positive and one negative card next to a city, easing the game a bit too much.

If you could figure out a way to prevent it, it would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.