Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Folks,

I am going to try the following variant to make the use of plot decks more enjoyable.
We all know that LT decks add lots of flavour to the game experience. However their biggest weakness is that once you pick one you need to stick with it for the entire campaign. So unless you want to spend the rest of your life playing this game you will never have the chance to try them all and get the nuances of each and every deck.
I own all the decks published until now and I was thinking of a way to optimise their use without spoiling the already fragile game balance.

That's my idea I would like your opinion on.

I will allow the OL (usually me btw) to optionally change the deck at the end of each quest. To minimise any possible abuse [want to avoid that the OL selects the best deck for every given quest] there will be an incremental cost associated with such swap. The first time it will be for free, the second time it will cost 1 threat token, the second time 2 TT's and so on.

I will try this from tonight on and will let you know how it goes. Since my friend and I are kind of 'aged' players with families we are not meeting as often as we wish so it will take us some time before we will complete this experiment.
If somebody else likes this idea and would like to try it out and share their thoughts afterwards feel free to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but I'd be buying my OL cards to synergize with my plot deck. So to continue switching would seem to be detrimental. Maybe just try an Epic Play variant that incorporates lieutenants/plot decks? That seems mostly what you're after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, but just to be clearer I am not aiming to get the most efficient plot deck for each quest but rather I was trying to find a creative way to make use, test and enjoy of a larger number of decks w/o risking to compromise the overall game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
the other idea is to play mini campaign so you can try out what's inside thoses decks. But you need to start with 4 threat tokens, even if the rules forgot it, but it sounds like normal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbione wrote:
I see your point, but just to be clearer I am not aiming to get the most efficient plot deck for each quest but rather I was trying to find a creative way to make use, test and enjoy of a larger number of decks w/o risking to compromise the overall game balance.

I know your aim. I'm just saying that what it seems you want is to try an Epic Play quest where you can essentially experience one or two of the quests with different OL cards, different plot decks, different heroes, etc., without messing around with anything else. In essence, that's what you're talking about doing anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rugal wrote:
the other idea is to play mini campaign so you can try out what's inside thoses decks. But you need to start with 4 threat tokens, even if the rules forgot it, but it sounds like normal

We've played it that the OL gets 3 threat for each xp he starts off with (for Epic and Mini-campaigns). Our reasoning was that since the heroes get starting gold, the OL should get roughly an equivalent in terms of threat.

For a mini campaign for example, each hero gets 100 gold and 4 xp, which is the average equivalent of going through 4 quests. Getting 2-4 search tokens isn't too much and that would give the heroes 100 gold on average.

So since they receive the gold equivalent, the OL should receive the threat equivalent of what he would receive during 4 "quests". He'd receive 1 threat for each "quest" and then on average he'd knock out 2 heroes per "quest", giving a total of 3 per "quest", or 3 for each xp.

Everytime we've tried this method, its worked out pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex
France
flag msg tools
jadedbacon wrote:
rugal wrote:

We've played it that the OL gets 3 threat for each xp he starts off with (for Epic and Mini-campaigns). Our reasoning was that since the heroes get starting gold, the OL should get roughly an equivalent in terms of threat.

For a mini campaign for example, each hero gets 100 gold and 4 xp, which is the average equivalent of going through 4 quests. Getting 2-4 search tokens isn't too much and that would give the heroes 100 gold on average.

So since they receive the gold equivalent, the OL should receive the threat equivalent of what he would receive during 4 "quests". He'd receive 1 threat for each "quest" and then on average he'd knock out 2 heroes per "quest", giving a total of 3 per "quest", or 3 for each xp.

Everytime we've tried this method, its worked out pretty well.

I see, you right, but it depends on how much heroes you've got on the game. So at 3 héros, it would be 2 threat for each 1 xp

Well sse, i'm gonna do it next time !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait! i thought you don't use plot decks with mini campaigns. am I wrong?

Ive got 6 of these stupid things, and id like to dump them. i just dont likem with the full campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien C
United States
Newark
New Jersey
flag msg tools
We've just finished a campaign and I was looking for a way to switch plot deck and found this thread.

I am going to try 2 ideas with my group to be able to change deck:
- a fixed number of threat token to switch deck.
- 1 encounter activation time

The first idea is "3 or 5 threat tokens to switch deck". can be done after experience phase

Essentially, it's a fee to "re-learn" the deck.

The second idea is: if you pick a new deck then you need to skip 1 encounter where you can't use your plot deck (activation time). can be done after each encounter.

In any case, you would "sell your cards" and with that same number of threat token you can buy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gore Monger
msg tools
I very much like your take on this. Did you get to try it?

I'm gonna try to play with this and see how it turns out.
"Selling your cards" and buying the same amount totally makes sense and is fair to the other players I feel.

Thanks for the strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.