BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: werewolf game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Last
msg tools
mb
Hello every one,
First of all when i have heard about werewolf game i was interested to try it but i found there were many versions , i made a research and came down to two versions i can choose from (One Night Ultimate Werewolf) and (Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition) , i saw reviews for both of them in youtube and i think i am interested more in Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition , but what is still keeping me hesitating that the BGG rate for One Night Ultimate Werewolf much more that Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition , so am i missing some thing? what is in One Night Ultimate Werewolf that make it better that the one i am interested in ?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is mechanically simpler and faster to play, but deeper in strategy, because your role can change during the night phase. You can add and remove roles to adjust the experience. (Always have Troublemaker and at least one werewolf, but otherwise you can experiment.) Plays quite well with even 3 players, although is much more fun with 4+ players.

The game still requires the right group, although ONUWW has gone down well with even people that do not like for example The Resistance:Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisition has more of an actual game to it. Even if the werewolves are discovered, they're not completely out of the game. In fact, there are plenty of situations where it makes sense for the werewolves to make a play that outs them.

I liken One Night Ultimate Werewolf as a faster version of The Resistance: Avalon. It's all about bluffing and deduction.

Personally, I think both of them are fantastic games, and you can't really go wrong with either. Inqusition is best with 3-5 players, and I'd never play it with more than 6 (even though the box says it goes up to 12). I haven't played One Night with more than 7, I think, but it's worked well at all player counts from 4+.

If you're still on the fence and need to pick one, I'd give the edge to One Night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how does Lupus in Tabula compare to these?

just wondering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it, but my understanding is that it's just another Werewolf game.

Werewolf suffers from a few problems:

1. Requires a non-playing Moderator. Moderatorship can actually be quite difficult, too, depending on number of players and what different roles you're using.

2. Frequent, heavily random player elimination. Games can also last quite a while if there's a large group, so the player elimination hurts.

3. Requires a large number of players. I'd say 10 at a minimum (not counting moderator), but even that's fairly low.

4. There's really not much gameplay. There's not a whole lot of information to go on, and there aren't even a lot of opportunities for bluffing. For the most part, it just comes down to looking at people and looking for a tell that they're a werewolf.

All that said, I still have a fair amount of respect for werewolf. If nothing else, a number of games I love can trace their heritage back directly to werewolf (particularly Avalon and One Night Werewolf). But it's really more of a social event than a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I've never played it, but my understanding is that it's just another Werewolf game.

Werewolf suffers from a few problems:

1. Requires a non-playing Moderator. Moderatorship can actually be quite difficult, too, depending on number of players and what different roles you're using.

2. Frequent, heavily random player elimination. Games can also last quite a while if there's a large group, so the player elimination hurts.

3. Requires a large number of players. I'd say 10 at a minimum (not counting moderator), but even that's fairly low.

4. There's really not much gameplay. There's not a whole lot of information to go on, and there aren't even a lot of opportunities for bluffing. For the most part, it just comes down to looking at people and looking for a tell that they're a werewolf.

All that said, I still have a fair amount of respect for werewolf. If nothing else, a number of games I love can trace their heritage back directly to werewolf (particularly Avalon and One Night Werewolf). But it's really more of a social event than a game.

That makes sense to me. I own a copy of WoMH (miller's hollow) but have never played any version of the game. getting enough people together might only happen once or twice a year, but the games are not expensive to keep on hand. I had read a 'rumor' that LiT had some mechanism to keep the dead/lynched in play as 'ghosts' but the translated rules I downloaded do not seem to show any activity for them. I was thinking about ALL the dead influencing a special character - a 'familiar' and having a single vote through that person (maybe the Mod is always the familiar?). A way to not totally eliminate folks.

anyway - seems the 2 games mentioned in the OP - particularly Ultimate, might be good versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
particularly Ultimate

They're both "ultimate".

Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition
One Night Ultimate Werewolf

They're both intended to be 'spinoffs' of Ultimate Werewolf, which is Ted Alspach's branded version of werewolf best known for having a huge variety of additional roles.

Inquisition, as far as I know, is an entirely original game that was inspired by Werewolf. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a remake and wider release of One Night Werewolf, which was designed by a Japanese dude and also inspired by Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
particularly Ultimate

They're both "ultimate".

Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition
One Night Ultimate Werewolf

They're both intended to be 'spinoffs' of Ultimate Werewolf, which is Ted Alspach's branded version of werewolf best known for having a huge variety of additional roles.

Inquisition, as far as I know, is an entirely original game that was inspired by Werewolf. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a remake and wider release of One Night Werewolf, which was designed by a Japanese dude and also inspired by Werewolf.

oh, sorry, I meant One Night. It seems to have distilled out some of the worst attributes. But that's without any personal experience.

It does seem one key element is good moderation so, maybe I'll concentrate on that - create a good script and hold onto it for the next big family or friends gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you all maybe i will buy them both , and later trade the one i didn't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also take a look at Blades of Legend. It has some Resistance / Werewolf themes to it, but some better mechanics, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
Also take a look at Blades of Legend. It has some Resistance / Werewolf themes to it, but some better mechanics, in my opinion.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'd never heard of it. A shame it's not really available on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played One Night Ultimate Werewolf twice (in a row). Ultimately (ba dum tss), I felt it was very similar to Resistance: Avalon but worse. I really did not like the way the roles are switched. I feel that Avalon is random and guessy enough, a great social game. ONUW has all that plus you don't know what YOU are. You can lose because you didn't even know that during the night, you became a non-werewolf (or whatever). The switching of roles is mostly random and with bluffing, it's near impossible to know.

I really did not see what the fuss is about. Resistance Avalon is brilliant and you should go for that. Perhaps regular Ultimate Werewolf is great as well (especially with a good narrator), but ONUW doesn't measure up IMO

FYI, it wasn't the group I played with. Most of them really enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I really did not like the way the roles are switched.

Without the (potential of) switching there is no game. All Villagers would just come out and tell the truth from the beginning, and Wolves would have no chance ever.

Sure, some people don't like that, yourself included, but that uncertainty is what this game is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, I understand that. I get that that's what gives the game its juice but I just felt it was either too random or more work than is fun to think "Ok, he said he switched her role with his, but if he's a werewolf then he would have said that to deflect the blame but if he's not and that dude's a werewolf then...."

In other words, "I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know...."

Like I said, most traitor games are random enough with knowing your own role. Take that away, and I'm still trying to figure out who I am by the time the buzzer goes, forget about 8 other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might be underestimating how difficult it can be to bluff well in One Night Werewolf. When there are several different roles in play, it can be really difficult to come up with a plausible lie for what happened during the night. Throw in the fact that multiple people can by lynched (so if you have two strong suspects, it's often possible to coordinate the table so they're both killed) and the problem with One Night Werewolf isn't that there's not enough info, but rather that there's too much information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, that may very well be it. Bluffing does not come naturally to me and I've barely learned how to do it in Tammany Hall (at which point, my enjoyment playing that game went up tremendously). Too many dimensions of it and it's pure chaos to my mind.

I wouldn't call One Night Ult Werewolf as having too much information, though, but data. Information, by definition, is useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.