Panahs Sainis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
So! We got our first 2 testing runs of brigandoom and yesterday we started our first Adventure.

We made mistakes some of them we corrected them along the way others after the game finished but we managed to beat the Villain and gain our reward. Hooray!

Alas! our victory was not one withoute losses... our cheerfull, and always laughing bard perised at the hands of a Giant!

So what do you do to overcome this?
Ok its only a scenario now but lets say this happens near the end of the 3rd adventure!

Also. our group is between 3-5 people! Yesterday we were 3 but most likely next time we will be 4.

Ok soloing missed scenarios is one solution.
Also replaying scenarios but only those that never finished it get the reward.

But how do you balance those kinds of things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doing scenarios with different numbers i don't mind so much,
i died last night to the skinsaw man, playing 2 characters,

i'm a bit gutted, from the book i can continue but can can choose any cards from the core set i think its says 2 back before the one your one.. im on pack 2 so i assume any core set card is ok,
but i'll have no skill box's ticked.which is harsh..but do able,
so long as i can pack a magic weapon or 2 i'm not too worried, not checked if that's possible yet

my other option is start pack 1 again not sure what i'm gonna do yet,
i'll defiantly skip the 3 core missions,

i did complain the game was easy so to die was a fun experience

how i died:
the Isha ghost mauled/milled my cards,
Harask made a risky extra explore drew satyr, :-/
Yerh Haunts added to difficulty, with out them i would have won,
Sheela alone+1d4 roll 4 both times so 18 difficult only a +1swrd, vs Skinsaw man,
I in hindsight should have timed out and saved Sheela

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panahs Sainis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
Did they both die?
The first 3 are tutorial-like from what I can tell!

Thats why Im not worring a lot about the now but about future plays.

We had only one death and because we are at the begining its not that awful. I was the only one that got a small upgrade in my items. Next time we will have to "new" characters!

Lets say I am the only one consistent on an adventure path. And the others come and go but are always the same 2-3 persons.

What sounds better:
Replaying scenarios the players misseduntil all are ready to continue?
Advance the adventure with with the characters available even though some might be stronger and more exprienced than others?
Also if we finish the adventure should all characters gain the reward even the ones that were present on 1 or two scenarios?

Ok thats I know that thats up to us and how we enjoy the game but Im looking for suggestions now that we are at the beggining so that we dont make tha game too easy or too difficult for us thus not enjoying it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first and foremost, the game should be fun for you, so the RAW (Rules as Written) may not be the best for you, but they are what they are.

Any deviation from the RAW may be seen as making the game 'too easy' since the characters died and any shortcut to get them back up to speed would be bypassing part of the game (and bypassing possible deaths and losses for that new character and any others that may be taking part). So what you do ultimately is up to you.

As per the RAW:
New characters are new, they haven't completed any scenarios or received any rewards.

New characters create their decks from the box per whatever rules you're up to. This means that if you haven't gotten to the Hook Mountain Massacre adventure yet, they can only be created using Basic cards from the base game + character add on decks. If you've gotten to Hook Mountain Massacre or beyond, it can be any non-loot card (not just Basic) but the adventure number of the card has to be 2 less than the current adventure the party has reached.

New characters, because they haven't successfully completed any scenarios, are fresh and new. If the party completes the last scenario of an adventure with a character that has not completed all of the scenarios of that adventure, then the characters that have completed all of the scenarios get the adventure reward but the others do not. When those other characters complete the rest of the scenarios successfully, then they'll receive the adventure reward.

The party is what determines what scenario everyone has access to, even if every character in the party dies, the party has still reached whatever scenario they've reached. It's somewhat like a video game with a stage select. Once you've reached a certain scenario, you can play it and any previous ones, regardless of party makeup. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of playing higher scenarios with lower-powered characters because it increases the likelihood that those characters will fail the scenario one way or another.. Old characters can help new characters complete old scenarios, and while the characters that have already received the reward for that scenario won't get it again, they can still try to improve their decks with boons received during the scenario playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panahs Sainis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
Luckily the game IS really fun for us! And it gets better every time!

We finished the scenario with the poison-monk-guy villain and this time our bard lived to tell the tale!laugh

We decided that for this first adventure we will "house rule" it -as we are still learning the game- and have all the charactes receive rewards and items from the first adventure.

Also we will consider any character that comes in to our party after we have started tha adventure path or rise of the runelords as having finished the first introductory adventure ("Perils of... something")

Then well try to go by the book (RAW) and take death and new addtions or departures like men, deal with them and continue on our quest.arrrh

PS. I wasnt aware of the fact that after the 3 adventure path you can have ressurected chars get better starting equipment so yeah thats good balance I think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.