Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho with PTL is one of the most fun Rebel pilots for me to fly. But I don't use him competitively because I thought he didn't have enough firepower for the points.

With the new Rebel Aces pack announced, I think this is his chance to shine. With the Chardaan Refit missile upgrade, he is effectively 24 points. The Prototype Veteran Title will allow him to take two Elite Pilot Skills giving him a ton of flexibility for different builds.

Here are some combos I'm looking forward to trying:

Tycho(26) + Chardaan Refit(-2) + Prototype Veteran(0) + PTL(3) + VI(1) = 28 points. At PS 10, you'll gain the upper hand over all those 9s and know exactly which two actions to take. And it's less points than just Tycho+PTL.

Tycho(26) + Chardaan Refit(-2) + Prototype Veteran(0) + PTL(3) + Adrenaline Rush(1) = 28 points. With all the stress tokens, you never get to do a k-turn. Until now. Well, once.

Tycho(26) + Chardaan Refit(-2) + Prototype Veteran(0) + PTL(3) + Expert Handling(2) = 29 points. Finally a boost + barrel roll A-wing.

Tycho(26) + Chardaan Refit(-2) + Prototype Veteran(0) + PTL(3) + Expose(4) = 31 points. Not sure how effective this will be, but you'll get 3 attack dice with a focus/TL. I like that he still has the flexibility to focus+evade with 3 green dice if he's in a vulnerable position.

Any other combos you think will be effective? Obviously, you can still just Tycho+Refit+PTL for 27 points, which will be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeez, A-Wings are going to be annoying now. They got a good boost with the Rebel Aces. I can see more people flying then in the tournament setting soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
pitsch911 wrote:
Jeez, A-Wings are going to be annoying now. They got a good boost with the Rebel Aces. I can see more people flying then in the tournament setting soon.

We'll see. So many people have been beating the "Han Shoots First" drum that I've been hoping for something to bring the underused ships to the forefront. These aces packs seem to be doing just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
in my area, HSF were only popular during last years regional. Now its all about the B-Wings lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PTL + Daredevil. Then your opponent can yell, "I can't shake 'em!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeynine wrote:
PTL + Daredevil. Then your opponent can yell, "I can't shake 'em!"

Hard turn + Daredevil + Boost for 225° turning... Tycho can literally run circles around other pilots. Crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can he perform daredevil with stress?
expose is an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
gugadin wrote:

Yes. Daredevil is a white 1 turn that causes stress.

See the official FAQ: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gugadin wrote:
expose is an action.

Yes, there's errata'd text that says you take a white 1-turn, then receive stress. Thus, Tycho can execute it while stressed, then gain more stress, but since he's free to take actions while stressed it doesn't really bother him (except he can't take red maneuvers while stressed... which is probably why they changed Daredevil's text).

*edit* ninja'd

I'll add that "Dare-Vader" (with Engine Upgrade and Daredevil) can Boost then Daredevil, but he can't Daredevil then Boost (because he can't take an action while stressed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
gugadin wrote:
expose is an action.

Yes, there's errata'd text that says you take a white 1-turn, then receive stress. Thus, Tycho can execute it while stressed, then gain more stress, but since he's free to take actions while stressed it doesn't really bother him (except he can't take red maneuvers while stressed... which is probably why they changed Daredevil's text).

*edit* ninja'd

I'll add that "Dare-Vader" (with Engine Upgrade and Daredevil) can Boost then Daredevil, but he can't Daredevil then Boost (because he can't take an action while stressed).

Worth noting also that Tycho with ptl and daredevil can do daredevil then boost, but not boost then daredevil. The ptl action has to be from the action bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
gugadin wrote:
expose is an action.

*edit* ninja'd

Worth noting also that Tycho with ptl and daredevil can do daredevil then boost, but not boost then daredevil. The ptl action has to be from the action bar.

Ah, good point. Unlike some other upgrades that add an action type "to your action bar" (Engine Upgrade, Millennium Falcon title), Daredevil grants a type of action that doesn't get added to your action bar. Same with upgrades like Marksmanship, Expert Handling, R2-F2, and basically anything else that doesn't have its own symbol (e.g. Evade, Focus, Target Lock, Boost, Barrel Roll).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:

Tycho(26) + Chardaan Refit(-2) + Prototype Veteran(0) + PTL(3) + Expert Handling(2) = 29 points. Finally a boost + barrel roll A-wing.

This is the version I'm most excited about running. It's what Tycho costs now, but with the ability to barrel roll. This will allow him to flank much better and stay out of arcs.

At 29 points he is a big investment. Just like an interceptor, but he doesn't hit as hard. He needs to be mobile to live and get into range 1 for an extra attack die. The barrel roll will really help him out. I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho+PtL+Expose is one point more than Soontir, has one less agility, and lower pilot skill, in exchange for dropping a hull and adding two shields. Just play Soontir?

Or better yet just take the new A Wing pilot, Jake. With VI he has higher PS, costs less, has a built in PtL. You can even add PtL, still costs less than PtL Tycho, and gives you 3 actions a turn, as long as you follow up with one of the many greens on the A Wing dial.

If anything, this new pack makes Tycho obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Tycho+PtL+Expose is one point more than Soontir, has one less agility, and lower pilot skill, in exchange for dropping a hull and adding two shields. Just play Soontir?

Or better yet just take the new A Wing pilot, Jake. With VI he has higher PS, costs less, has a built in PtL. You can even add PtL, still costs less than PtL Tycho, and gives you 3 actions a turn, as long as you follow up with one of the many greens on the A Wing dial.

I still prefer the flexibility of Tycho. Yes, half of the wheel is green, but there are times I want a 1 turn which is white and won't clear my stress. With Tycho I can do that and still perform my actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:

If anything, this pack gives Tycho a wingman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Jake is good, sure. But I am loving some of the crazy options you can do with Tycho. Stress really limits Jake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:

I disagree that Tycho is obsolete, but Jake is very good you are right.

Jake (24) + Push (3) + Vet (1) + Chardaan (-2) = 26 pts for PS 9

Tycho (26) + Push (3) + Exp Handling (2) + Chardaan (-2) = 29 pts for PS 8

You might be saying to yourself, why would I pay 3 more points for Tycho, when he can do 1 less action at one less PS point?

Well Tycho is almost immune to missiles with expert handling and doesn't have to de-stress ever. In close, after pushing the limit, he can do a one turn and push the limit again. Picture it, Tycho can be stressed, do a hard turn barrel roll + another action. No other ship in the game can do that.

Both of the A-Wings are good. Tycho costs 3 points more, but gives more range of movement and you don't have to manage stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
26 is easier to fit into a 4 ship squad than 29 points. Obsolete is a bit hyperbolic, I will admit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
26 is easier to fit into a 4 ship squad than 29 points. Obsolete is a bit hyperbolic, I will admit.

Yes but...why not just do both? Low firepower, sure, but those would be some really nasty A-Wings to find on your flank...

Uber-Jake (26) + Uber-Tycho (29) + Blue Squadron x2 (44)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I still haven't conceptually wrapped my head around multiple named A Wings in a squad. This pack also makes AABBB even more dangerous, providing 4 free points. Because I feel like that squad was just way overmatched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.