Subject: noob Qs for core set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Kim
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
When the corp's Archives is empty, can the runner still run to it and consider it as successful?

I forgot the card name but it's in core set runner. Does 'expose a card' on a card mean expose a card that is installed in corp's area? Can I expose R&D, archives or HQ card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The runner may run Archives if it is empty.

Only installed cards may be "exposed". Cards in HQ/R&D may be "revealed" by various effects, but that is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The central servers (HQ, R&D, Archives) always exist even if they have no cards, although usually this will only be the case with Archives at the start of a game, although HQ can sometimes be empty.

'Expose' lets you look at, but not 'access', a Corp card that is installed in a server, so it must be either ICE that the Corp has played out, or an agenda/asset/upgrade that is in a server - you can't use it on their HQ, Archives or R&D unless the card specifically says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can run an empty central server. You cannot run an empty remote server (because as soon as it becomes empty, it ceases to exist). If for some reason a remote server becomes empty midrun, the run ends immediately (as neither successful nor unsuccessful).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
You can run an empty central server. You cannot run an empty remote server (because as soon as it becomes empty, it ceases to exist). If for some reason a remote server becomes empty midrun, the run ends immediately (as neither successful nor unsuccessful).

Just to be clear, by "empty" they mean no ICE, and no asset/upgrade/agenda installed. I.E., literally NOTHING there. A remote server that just has a piece of Ice protecting it, but nothing installed in it still exists and can be run on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Kim
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
stillnotking wrote:

So start of the game, if the archives is empty the runner can run to it and by one of the runner card, it can be considered as a run to HQ then? (sorry forgot the name of the core set runner card...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
silviac wrote:
stillnotking wrote:

So start of the game, if the archives is empty the runner can run to it and by one of the runner card, it can be considered as a run to HQ then? (sorry forgot the name of the core set runner card...)

Yes, using Sneakdoor Beta to initiate a run on a naked and empty Archives would result in a successful HQ run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
silviac wrote:
stillnotking wrote:

You can also run an empty archives to generate virus counters on Datasucker. There are some other effects which are worth doing this for, but these are probably the main ones in the Core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Kim
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
ProphetOfCod wrote:
silviac wrote:
stillnotking wrote:

Yes, using Sneakdoor Beta to initiate a run on a naked and empty Archives would result in a successful HQ run.

Sweet!!!

Just another q... Biotic Labor Gain 2 clicks. Does it mean that eventually I only gain one click because I used this card as a click?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
silviac wrote:
Just another q... Biotic Labor Gain 2 clicks. Does it mean that eventually I only gain one click because I used this card as a click?

Yep. Net gain, one click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
silviac wrote:

Yes. Unless it gets played as a result of

But that one's not part of the Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on, isn't the HQ the Corp's hand? Archives wouldn't count as HQ? I'm new to the game too, but the manual seems to make this pretty clear. Unless the card says "central Server" rather than hq.

Forget this, I just read the card. I understand this thread now. Sneak door allows access to hq if run successfully at the archives is the info I was missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneakdoor Beta is a card that lets you run on Archives, then treat it as a successful run on HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That clears it up, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Kim
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
As part of corps' action, '3 clicks: Purge virus counters.' does it remove all the virus counters hosted on corps entire area not just on one card? I guess it doesn't remove virus counters on runner's area?

When I score an agenda as a corp, what happens to the upgrade that was on it? I suppose it remains? Card like San san city is a must upgrade for corp as trash cost is also high too?

When the runner encounters first ice and corp decides to rez it, does strength get compared first? If corp has greater strength than an icebreaker, I guess the run is ended but the subroutines are triggered?

If Parasite Virus is installed on a rezzed ice, can corp trash the ice and install a new ice at the outermost even though there are virus counters on it? I guess this can also save corp some clicks.

Icebreaker like Ninja, 1 credit to break Sentry subroutine and 3 credit to +5 strength, does +5 strength apply to any icebreaker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
silviac wrote:
As part of corps' action, '3 clicks: Purge virus counters.' does it remove all the virus counters hosted on corps entire area not just on one card? I guess it doesn't remove virus counters on runner's area?

Currently there are no Corp cards that accumulate Virus Counters, so it's a good thing that it purges all Virus Counters from all cards in play.

silviac wrote:
When I score an agenda as a corp, what happens to the upgrade that was on it? I suppose it remains? Card like San san city is a must upgrade for corp as trash cost is also high too?

The Upgrade wasn't on the Agenda, it was in the Server with the Agenda. The Server stays, including all ICE and Upgrades.

silviac wrote:
When the runner encounters first ice and corp decides to rez it, does strength get compared first? If corp has greater strength than an icebreaker, I guess the run is ended but the subroutines are triggered?

No. The Corp does not have strength, the Icebreaker does. After the Corp Rezzes the ICE, the encounter begins and that is when the Runner can use Paid Abilities to Interact with the ICE, such as by breaking its Subroutines. Only if the ICE contains an unbroken subroutine that says "End the Run" does the ICE end the run.

silviac wrote:
If Parasite Virus is installed on a rezzed ice, can corp trash the ice and install a new ice at the outermost even though there are virus counters on it? I guess this can also save corp some clicks.

Yes. The Parasite is Trashed when the ICE it is Hosted on is Trashed. Not sure what you mean by "save corp some clicks" besides the reduced Install Cost.

silviac wrote:
Icebreaker like Ninja, 1 credit to break Sentry subroutine and 3 credit to +5 strength, does +5 strength apply to any icebreaker?

Only to Ninja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think by saving Corp clicks he probably means by not taking the action of removing virus counters for 3 clicks. Just a guess though.

Sometimes installing over a Parasite is the right play. Sometimes clearing virus counters to keep your ICE alive another turn or two is the right play. It's all about timing and board-state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Kim
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
etherial wrote:
silviac wrote:

No. The Corp does not have strength, the Icebreaker does. After the Corp Rezzes the ICE, the encounter begins and that is when the Runner can use Paid Abilities to Interact with the ICE, such as by breaking its Subroutines. Only if the ICE contains an unbroken subroutine that says "End the Run" does the ICE end the run.

I didn't make this clear... What I meant was an ICE not corp. If the ICE strength is greater than Icebreaker strength and there is no paid abilities on the Icebreaker to increase the strength, what happens with the encounter? The runner cannot continue the run but subroutines are triggered and end the run? Or just nothing happens?

etherial wrote:
silviac wrote:

Yes. The Parasite is Trashed when the ICE it is Hosted on is Trashed. Not sure what you mean by "save corp some clicks" besides the reduced Install Cost.

As mentioned below by Andrew.

Thanks a lot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silviac wrote:

I didn't make this clear... What I meant was an ICE not corp. If the ICE strength is greater than Icebreaker strength and there is no paid abilities on the Icebreaker to increase the strength, what happens with the encounter? The runner cannot continue the run but subroutines are triggered and end the run? Or just nothing happens?

If you can't increase the strength of the icebreaker to match the strength of the ICE, you can't break the subroutines. You still encounter the ICE, you just have to accept the effects of the subroutines (in fact, you can elect not to break sub routines if you're not bothered about them). This all happens even if you have NO icebreakers in play.

HOWEVER

Just because you can't break the subs does NOT mean the run ends. If a piece of ICE doesn't have a sub on it that reads 'end the run', you continue on after suffering whatever effect is on it. Look at Neural Katana from the core set... It does 3 net damage, but doesn't stop you. If you have the cards in hand, you can breeze straight past it if you wish! Though of course... you risk running into another one later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.