Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberBall is a 15-20 min futuristic handball game where two (possibly more) teams compete in a huge metal arena (reminiscent of Rollerball or the old video game Speedball).

The board using a 13 x 13 hex pattern with a single goal in the middle. Fits on a standard A3 sized page.

Four players per team represented using double-sided tokens numbered 1/6, 5/2 and 4/3, two d6 dice and a basic scoring track 1-5.

Players alternate turns for 1 token at a time, doing either:
Move
Pass Ball
Shoot at Goal
Pickup dropped ball
Tackle.

After the action is taken, the token flips, revealing the opposite facing (which can be good or bad depending on the circumstances).

Move - Face value determines possible movement (up to the value). Token flips after move. High value gives good movement but trade-off is the flip side does not - making movement difficult on following turn.

Pass Ball - Current face value plus 1 for each opponent's piece adjacent to thrower or catcher. Roll d6 greater or equal to succeed. Success = caught, or catcher drops ball into a random adjacent space (roll dice). Thrower flips after action. Low value best for passing.

Shoot at Goal - Current face value minus 1 for each opponent's piece adjacent to thrower or catcher and minus 1 if outside 3 spaces from goal (this is a ring marked on the board). Success = GOAL! Teams line-up again. Missed - ball returns to field along outer ring of board - play continues. Token flips after shot.

Pickup dropped ball - Face value to move to ball space. Roll d6 - if roll greater or less than face value - pickup success. If equal face value, ball dropped into random adjacent space (d6 roll). Token flips.

Tackle - Only permitted against token holding the ball. Tackler commence move from at least 1 space away and move to an adjacent space. Both players add face value of their tokens and roll d6 each. Lowest score wins. Defender keeps possession if the win. If Tackler wins, ball is dropped into adjacent space )d6 to determine which space.

Played a very rough version at my local gaming group last night and was quite well received, after a few rule tweaks during play.

More ideas, design work, rules, graphics and photos to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a bit of work last night to flesh out the board, which is scaled for A3 landscape printing. It's a hex-based circular arena with the goal the black space in the middle. Shooting at goal from outside the green area adds a 1 to difficulty and I'm thinking the inner area has limits to the number of tokens that can enter the space?

The numbers on the outer edge provide directional alignment for spilled balls, i.e. if you're in any space and you drop the ball, you roll a d6 and result uses this orientation to determine the direction the ball spills into an adjacent space.

Apart from the board, the game will require 8 coloured tokens (around 20-22mm for this sized board - 4 for each team in 2 separate colours). 2 scoring markers and a cube or piece for the ball.

A day or two more and I should have a useful set of rules and the printable bits required. I'm also looking at whether the game can play with more than 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have a rough set of Cyberball Rules to go with the game in Gdoc format.

PnP components to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest Rules have now been updated and include 16 separate Tactic Cards (standard 2.5 x2.5 format) and tokens for 2 players. Ideally, the tokens should be stuck onto discs or cardboard, as they are double-sided.

A Low-ink copy of the board now available in A4 format x 4 pages with .5mm overlap.

A Low-ink copy of the board also available in Letter format.

All you need is 2xD6 and a small marker token (cube or clear bead) to count as the ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A great arcade game brought to a boardgame, or just a careless namespace collision?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the name may be the same and the theme similar but the two are different. I only searched the BGG database for the name, not elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.