Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Tiny Epic Kingdoms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bad grammar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Under 'Take the Action' section, it says: Each player should complete the
action before the next player goes. Where is the player going? They aren't going anywhere, they will be taking their turn. Please update this phrase to: Each player should complete the action before the next player performs their action.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
...before the next player performs their action.


her/his
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blackholexan wrote:
toober wrote:
...before the next player performs their action.


her/his

Using they/their as a gender neutral singular pronoun is a widely accepted practice:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/he-or-she-versus-...
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
blackholexan wrote:
toober wrote:
...before the next player performs their action.


her/his

Using they/their as a gender neutral singular pronoun is a widely accepted practice:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/he-or-she-versus-...


Now that was an interesting read! I did not know that!

-Ski
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Under 'Take the Action' section, it says: Each player should complete the
action before the next player goes. Where is the player going? They aren't going anywhere, they will be taking their turn. Please update this phrase to: Each player should complete the action before the next player performs their action.


It's a bit ironic to start a thread to point out a commonly used term for "takes their action" (i.e. "goes") and then attempt to reword the sentence using a different commonly used, but certainly not rigidly grammatical, construct (i.e. plural pronouns to indicate gender neutrality).

Actually, it seemed like the issue was a typo in the original sentence:

"Each player should complete the action" should be "their action". It still uses "their" but that's cool. Decrying "goes" is just being nitpicky, especially as the central issue for a thread.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, if I have to choose between good grammar and bad grammar that is clear and easy to read, I will choose the latter every time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
As a side note, if I have to choose between good grammar and bad grammar that is clear and easy to read, I will choose the latter every time.


You are absolutely right, and as a result, many phrases which were once deemed "bad grammar" have become acceptable. In America, the most obvious case is the slow death of the adverb. Replacing adverbs with adjectives has become so commonplace, that when I, as an English teacher, correct my students, they are baffled at the notion that an error was even made. Such is the ever-changing world of language.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A writing style should be tailored to suit its target audience. I'm quite happy with 'goes' as it's a phrase gamers are familiar with. It also makes for a much tighter sentence than the one the longer alternative suggested.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Mike (OP) on this one.

The sentence in question appears in the rulebook, not on a cramped little card. There is no reason to sacrifice correct language at the altar of conciseness in this case.

(I do realize it's too late now, but I wanted to voice my support all the same.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.