Recommend
35 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Message to Ares... Please make us a CE-sized Game Mat! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A public appeal to Ares Games:

Please make us a 133% game mat for War of the Ring!

You've done three of them for Wings of Glory...

You've done one for Sails of Glory...

You know how to use Kickstarter...

There are no excuses! An oversized mousepad-type rollup surface would be the ultimate addition to our beloved game. We need more space for our minis.

BGG USERS: Please thumb this post if you would buy it...
80 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on cost of course... but still, that would be very cool.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I may be missing something here, but since this is played on a board rather than a tabletop, what would you use the mat for?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Casus Belli wrote:
Hmm, I may be missing something here, but since this is played on a board rather than a tabletop, what would you use the mat for?


The mat would replace the game board. The important difference is that it would be larger, like the Collector's Edition Board Size. Of course, if Ares wanted to go even bigger (say 150% rather than 133%) that might be cool too.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on board (to employ a pathetic pun...)

Would buy in an instant. I can imagine all the other CE owners would as well.

But that is the beauty of Kickstarter. Ares, need not wonder if it would sell. They can know for certain if it would or not via Kickstarter.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
The mat would replace the game board. The important difference is that it would be larger, like the Collector's Edition Board Size. Of course, if Ares wanted to go even bigger (say 150% rather than 133%) that might be cool too.



Ah! Got you! Ok then! Count me in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mats are used only for miniature games...

Player mats are useful for making the game more portable/hardy. I don't want to make my CE more portable/hardy...

But hey, if you can get 150% zoom or higher, I want in!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nat whilk wrote:
I am on board (to employ a pathetic pun...)

Would buy in an instant. I can imagine all the other CE owners would as well.

But that is the beauty of Kickstarter. Ares, need not wonder if it would sell. They can know for certain if it would or not via Kickstarter.


I know from seeing it myself that Nat's CE board is starting to show a little wear...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to tape mine, very annoyed, but it was just the second edition, not a biggie
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about that recent KS Gripmat?
Wonder if they could get permission to do one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/gripmat-get-a-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
nat whilk wrote:
I am on board (to employ a pathetic pun...)

Would buy in an instant. I can imagine all the other CE owners would as well.

But that is the beauty of Kickstarter. Ares, need not wonder if it would sell. They can know for certain if it would or not via Kickstarter.


I know from seeing it myself that Nat's CE board is starting to show a little wear...


Foob, all that wear on my CE board is from two games ago when I was chasing your free people armies around the south in such suicidal futility...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Y
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the territories at 150% though - and maybe the tracks etc.

Just don't oversize the areas where the cards sit. That would upset me greatly to see teeny cards in an oversized box.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pushed for canvas print or vinyl banner material in multiple sizes. Would be happy with anything from 5'x7' to 7'x10! in any material - glad to see the growing call! The polularity of this game would motivate many people to paint figures and add more 3d sculpts of land marks/strong holds
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At bigger sizes having an alternate graphic with out tracks and card stations for those that want the battle station off to the side
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this thread. Too sad that - at least at the moment - the range of War of the Ring items we can manufacture is limited due to the constraints of the license.

We have quite more freedom of action with our own properties than with a licensed property.

Never say never - we try to push the envelope of what we can do in this line all the time - but don't hold your breath on this...
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I hadn't expected the license to be an issue.

You have permission to print game boards, because you put those in the game. Is it a problem where the license only allows a certain size (in which case we're stuck), or is it a problem about selling the board as a separate product?

Would the license issue be solved if you sold the full game with a big board? Effectively making a "War of the Ring: Big Board Edition"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
Thanks for this thread. Too sad that - at least at the moment - the range of War of the Ring items we can manufacture is limited due to the constraints of the license.

We have quite more freedom of action with our own properties than with a licensed property.

Never say never - we try to push the envelope of what we can do in this line all the time - but don't hold your breath on this...


Maybe if we all hold our breath? gulp
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
You have permission to print game boards, because you put those in the game. Is it a problem where the license only allows a certain size (in which case we're stuck), or is it a problem about selling the board as a separate product?


If I had to guess I would probably say that the license pertains to producing a board game only, and either excludes all types of accessories (in which case I wonder how the tin got produced) or that the mat is not "board game-y" enough to qualify.

There's a thin line between producing accessories for your boardgame players and producing general merchandise with LotR stuff all over it. I'm sure the lawyers with Tolkien would want to keep very tight control over that intellectual property.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every item which is not the boardgame needs to go through a specific approval process. And items that can border on somebody's else licenses (most notably, miniatures) are troublesome to be allowed.

That is not to say a game mat is IMPOSSIBLE - it's just that, on top of any other consideration (mostly, how many of you are holding your breath ), specific permissions must be asked and granted, and that's not easy with this specific IP.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
That is not to say a game mat is IMPOSSIBLE - it's just that, on top of any other consideration (mostly, how many of you are holding your breath ), specific permissions must be asked and granted, and that's not easy with this specific IP.



Ok then, I'm holding my breath
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Casus Belli wrote:
cybernex wrote:
That is not to say a game mat is IMPOSSIBLE - it's just that, on top of any other consideration (mostly, how many of you are holding your breath ), specific permissions must be asked and granted, and that's not easy with this specific IP.



Ok then, I'm holding my breath


Likewise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alporik Laconic

Texas
msg tools
gulp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
That is not to say a game mat is IMPOSSIBLE - it's just that, on top of any other consideration (mostly, how many of you are holding your breath ), specific permissions must be asked and granted, and that's not easy with this specific IP.


8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
gulp


gulp
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.