Subject: Pontoon Bridges and Retreats (General GCACW Question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, I'm in a game of Burnside Takes Command and a Union division of mine is routed on one side of the river.

1. Can pontoon bridges be used for retreats at all?

2. For retreat purposes, are pontoon bridges treated like roads, or not?

The rules appear to be silent on both counts. Considering that units using a pontoon bridge that connect two hexes with roads can treat the pontoon bridge like I road, I felt they could use it for a retreat, but the rules do not explicitly say this, and considering how well-developed the rules are, I am sure it's not a "new" issue.

Perhaps I missed a rule?

The only logic I can apply is that a "pontoon bridge" seems to be a subset of "bridge" and bridges over rivers are considered to have a roads across them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Pence
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would say yes, for retreat priorities containing a road.

There is a small section somewhere in there indicating that if both hexes on each side of a river being traversed with a pontoon bridge contain roads, then those roads are considered to be connected for movement purposes.

I would include retreat priorities along with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Farsol wrote:

I would say yes, for retreat priorities containing a road.

There is a small section somewhere in there indicating that if both hexes on each side of a river being traversed with a pontoon bridge contain roads, then those roads are considered to be connected for movement purposes.

I would include retreat priorities along with that.

I would agree, but that's not quite what the section actually says:

GCACW Standard Rules 10.0 wrote:

Units may cross major and minor rivers only at bridges, dams, ferries, and fords. A unit entering a hex across a bridge, dam, or ford ignores the cost of teh major terrain in that hex and instead pays 1 MP as long as a road, pike, or RR corsses that bridge, damn, or ford. A unit also pays 1 MP if a pontoon bridge is constructed over that river (as long as both hexes connected by the pontoon bridge have a road, pike, trail, or RR in them). Units entering a hex across a bridge or ford which is not traversed by a road, pike or RR must pay that hex's major terrain MP cost . . .

I take that to mean that all this stuff applies during movement, which means that the pontoon bridge is treated like a road during movement, but nothing addresses retreats, so I was just seeking confirmation.

In my current game it's not *that* big a deal . . . I would lose 1 manpower . . . but in a more serious game situation, it could be the difference between survival and elimination, depending on the game circumstances.

So I agree with you, but I think that rule just implies that we are right. I am more reluctant to make a ruling in this manner because (1) this has to have come up before in the past 20 years, and (2) the rules cover almost every conceivable nuance and question, so the absence of a clear answer here makes me think that perhaps the pontoon bridge cannot be used for retreat purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chris!

Though not specifically about pontoon bridges, isn't this rule about retreating across rivers applicable?

Rivers:
A retreating unit may cross a major or minor river hexside only
at a bridge, dam, ferry, or ford. In a rain turn, a unit may not retreat
across a ford hexside or a creek hexside untraversed by a road, pike,
trail, or RR.

That's from GCACW standard rules 1.2; page 18 under

7.6 Retreats, Routs, and Advances

Retreat Restrictions

Rivers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:
Hello Chris!

Though not specifically about pontoon bridges, isn't this rule about retreating across rivers applicable?

Rivers:
A retreating unit may cross a major or minor river hexside only
at a bridge, dam, ferry, or ford. In a rain turn, a unit may not retreat
across a ford hexside or a creek hexside untraversed by a road, pike,
trail, or RR.

That's from GCACW standard rules 1.2; page 18 under

7.6 Retreats, Routs, and Advances

Retreat Restrictions

Rivers

Yes. I referenced this, as well, and presuming that a "pontoon bridge" is also a "bridge" within the meaning of the rules, I think you are right.

I am so sorry to be so nit-picky, especially since I agree with you.

I was more concerned that I'd post my question and people would say, "Obviously, no, you can't do that!" (which is much more often the case!).

Good to see that all the responses seem to agree with my understanding - basically, a "pontoon bridge" counts as a "bridge" . . . but again, even if correct, for retreat purposes it raises the question if that bridge also counts as a road retreat for avoiding a manpower loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withers

California
msg tools
Your own pontoon is a bridge for retreat purposes. Its road status for manpower loss purpose would be the same as if the road is there for movement which it almost always would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisWithers wrote:
Your own pontoon is a bridge for retreat purposes. Its road status for manpower loss purpose would be the same as if the road is there for movement which it almost always would be.

Thanks for the response, Chris!

Just to clarify for future viewers who may or may not have the same question . . . if the hexes the pontoon bridge connects both have roads in them, the pontoon bridge itself is also considered a road for movement as well as retreat purposes.

Have some geekgold, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.