Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that this is a bit of a stereotype and the question won't even apply to everyone, but if you do find one of these answers to be true for you, I'd appreciate your participation in the poll. Thanks!

Poll
How do you feel about Archipelago?
I tend to favor euro games and LOVE Archipelago
I tend to favor euro games and HATE Archipelago
I tend to favor thematic games and LOVE Archipelago
I tend to favor thematic games and HATE Archipelago
I either tend to like all games equally and/or have no strong impression regarding Archipelago
      142 answers
Poll created by goldengamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both thematic and euro games. I am fascinated by Archipelago for the way it uses Euro mechanisms but produces a freeform, interactive experience susceptible to total collapse if the players as a group don't get their act together. It is simultaneously Euro and anti-Euro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer Euros to Thematic games and I very much enjoy Archipelago. It's not without its flaws, but the game is a unique experience in several respects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freierfall Sonnenflieger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would REALLY like to see if the "EURO" Style prefering people and the "Thematic" Style preferring people also have a tendency for one of the two main decisive ways to play it: The Question wheter its really "Semi-Coop" and therefore tanking the game by causing rebellion if you are losing makes you an A**hole vs. Tanking the game is a legitimate move to blackmail the leading players. I have the feeling, that this may be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually a wargamer with an occasional weakness for tile laying games. Archipelago is my favorite game that is not a wargame. It scratches a lot of itches for me, including that tile thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed out 2 options for people who have no preference between Euros and Thematic games, but love/loathe Archipelago.

I have a slight preference on thematic games, but play (and love) a lot of both. I love Archipelago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
You missed out 2 options for people who have no preference between Euros and Thematic games, but love/loathe Archipelago.

I have a slight preference on thematic games, but play (and love) a lot of both. I love Archipelago.

Ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My tastes are all over the map. I love some thematic games and I also love some euro games. I tend to favour thematic games, however. I love Archipelago since it is a blend of both thematic and euro with some very interesting player interaction.
I'd love to see more innovative games like this in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would expect answers to vary depending on why one likes Euros or Thematicos. Archipelago has tight, interwoven mechanics like many great Euros, but if you like Euros for their satisfying solitaire puzzle characteristics then I doubt the social-player-ping-ponging of Archipelago would appeal. Likewise, it doesn't really have quite enough thematic fluff to satisfy most boardgames-as-psuedo-RPGs types.

I think it would be interesting to see a similar poll with more focus on the specific elements of the game that attract people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.