Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Alexandrescu
Romania
Iasi
Iasi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently played an 8-player game with the following "options":
Base Game + Pegasus Expansion (Cylon Leader) + Exodus Expansion (Extra loyalties + Cylon Fleet)

We had:
- 2 cylons
- 1 cylon leader (hostile)
- 1 sympathetic cylon
- 4 humans

Initially there was only the cylon leader and the rest were humans.
Unfortunately, because we added one extra not a cylon card, the sympathetic cylon card got left in the loyalty deck (luck of the shuffle).
Therefore, we had 3 cylons (the cylon leader was pro-cylon) vs 5 humans.

The humans managed to get to 8 distance in only 3 jumps (2+3+3) but in the end lost, mainly because four humans had personal goals that resulted in loss of fuel and morale.
Before the second loyalty card deal, all the 7 humans played pro-human (hope it makes sense).

My question is how to better balance the game for 8 players?
The humans got really lucky and still managed to lose.

I was thinking maybe to increase the starting resources.
We want to play with the personal goals, final five and at least one of the cylon leader and the sympathetic cylon because it adds more variety.

I read the other 8-player game related posts but maybe someone has played a "winning" formula.

BTW.. the game was a lot of fun and it was little downtime probably because we were all experienced players and we played BSG multiple times (with fewer players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal Goals are flawed. If you want to keep them in, make them be a free action. This should help out a bit.

We play that not everyone gets a crisis on their turn. Roll a d8 on a 7-8, no crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

we regularly play with 8 players.

We include both conflicted loyalties and final 5 loyalty cards.

For 8 players we add 2 'you are a cylon cards'. We then mix 2 cylon cards and 2 yanac cards and randomly add one to the loyalty deck (so 50% chance that there is a third cylon loyalty card in play)

The remaining cards are placed at the bottom of the loyalty deck (in case of executions)

We have an experienced group. 8 players is normally 2.5 to 3 hours to completion.

In my experience this is pretty evenly balanced. There is added spice in that noone is sure how many cylons are in play until the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skill cards go out much less often. You do NOT do anything to adjust this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
So there's a chance of playing 6v2?! That doesn't sound balanced at all, since it's normally 3v2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to try to make the game work with 8, and I was using Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion, then I would probably try either:

5 Humans
3 Cylons
1 Balancing Mechanism (Daybreak Mutineer)

3 Cylon + 13 YANAC + 1 Mutineer [+ 1 YANAC for Exodus] [+ 1 YANAC for original Baltar] [+ 1 YANAC for Boomer]

or

4 Humans
3 Cylons
1 Cylon Leader (Daybreak Motives)

3 Cylon + 11 YANAC [+ 1 YANAC for Exodus] [+ 1 YANAC for original Baltar] [+ 1 YANAC for Boomer]

or

4 Humans
2 Cylons
2 Cylon Leaders (Daybreak Motives)
1 Balancing Mechanism (Daybreak Mutineer)

2 Cylon + 10 YANAC + 1 Mutineer [+ 1 YANAC for Exodus] [+ 1 YANAC for original Baltar] [+ 1 YANAC for Boomer]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to try to make the game work with 8, and I was not using Daybreak, then I would probably try either:

5 Humans
3 Cylons
1 Balancing Mechanism (No Sympathizer)

3 Cylon + 13 YANAC [+ 1 YANAC for Exodus] [+ 1 YANAC for original Baltar] [+ 1 YANAC for Boomer]

or

4 Humans
3 Cylons
1 Cylon Leader (Pegasus Sympathetic Agenda)

3 Cylon + 11 YANAC [+ 1 YANAC for Exodus] [+ 1 YANAC for original Baltar] [+ 1 YANAC for Boomer]

or

4 Humans
2 Cylons
1 Cylon Leader (Pegasus Hostile Agenda)
1 Cylon Leader (Pegasus Sympathetic Agenda)
1 Balancing Mechanism (No Sympathizer)

The official No Sympathizer rules can be found here:
http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Galacti...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Alexandrescu
Romania
Iasi
Iasi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers.
We don't have the Daybreak expansion and I think that the setup that we used is very good because of the randomness of the cylon leader agenda and the sympathetic cylon (the last one appears after the fleet jumped half the distance); therefore in the worst case scenario, initially, there are 3 pro-cylon players.
If we use one less cylon it will favor the humans much more.
The solution with the d8 die I don't think it's that good because that turn the humans don't jump. The players will have more cards to use at the expense of a higher play time.
There is really no need for more cards because there are more players in the game. If each player has more cards then the crisis checks are easier.
I like variety so we won't remove the cylon leader.

I think we will try one or more of the following:
1. Increase all the starting resources by 1 or 2.
2. Setup the loyalty cards so that when the first loyalties are dealt there will be (besides the cylon leader) at most on cylon card.
3. Shuffle the personal goals cards with the final five cards and select only 2 or 3 of them. (so the humans don't have to suffer too much resource loss and so the players aren't afraid to execute other players).
4. Make the personal goals action a free one (like Seth suggested).

I think that next time we will try with options 2 and 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.