Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially had a couple concerns about this game, one being the price of pledging vs the rewards, and the other being potential for excess record keeping. After reviewing the game more, and watching the gameplay video Beasts of War has out, I'm getting a lot more excited for the game, and here's why:

The designer has said openly on several forums and podcasts that the rules will always be free, and in a comment I noticed on the kickstarter page, he even clarified that the rules and unit cards will be free. It sounded like he was talking about the entire game, not just a few 'demo' factions. I love this, give us a great game that we are excited to play and can actually try out, and many people will be more likely to spend some money on the models eventually. But in the meantime, we can play with paper standees or proxies.

The record keeping is a lot easier than it seems after reading the quickstart rules. The only thing to track on the unit cards is health points. Influence and momentum are all tokens in play, and remind me a lot of Focus in Warmachine. There are a lot of abilities to keep in mind, but this is the same with many miniatures games, and just means that, while you may learn the game quickly, it will take several plays to really learn how to play your guild best. This is not bad as it adds replayability and depth.

Finally, I love the playbooks, it is an interesting, and above all, quick way to add lot's of different possible outcomes to combat from one simple die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

At this time the only thing holding me back from pledging more than 15GBP (1 for Accessories level, 4 for shipping to Germany, 10 for printed rulebook) is the lack of more infos on the sculpts. I have a hard time paying a significant amount of money for just a few miniatures without even knowing how they will look like.

While the sculpts we've seen so far look similar to the artwork they've shown, I am not so sure about the poses and whether I'll like them. Will probably look into it when it goes to retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great point, I barely noticed that there were only a handfull of prerenders of the actual sculpts yet. I was too distracted by the fantastic character art. I'm not likely to dump a lot of cash into it yet, but I'll probably do just enough to get in on the post KickStarter field tests so that I can keep watching how it grows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went in for six teams which gives me a full seventh including the Union freebies. It is definitely pricey, but after watching the digital sculpting session on Thursday I'm confident the figures will be very good. I'm also very certain that I'll be able to cross purpose them into other tabletop games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.