Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm trying to pare down my collection of games that haven't hit the table.

I own both DoA II + Master Set and Memoir '44 + Overlord (haven't played either and will probably play them rarely).

I'm not sure if I should get rid of Memoir '44 or not. I understand that Memoir '44 is much easier to learn, but I like that DoA II doesn't have tons of separate expansions to purchase and everything is contained into two boxes (and no miniatures needed). And both can play 8 players.

They seem to be both tactics games with environmental factors so I'm wondering if they both scratch the same itch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir is much faster playing, more of a "wargame" than DOA. They're two of my favorites and different enough from each other that I'd keep both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Very different itches. I don't care for Memoir myself, but my wife and I are both avid C&C:Napoleonics players and play DoAII as well. Outside of the use of hexes, they have almost nothing in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoire '44 is a bit dull when compared to the more recent iteration of the system.

It also don't really work with 8 people, even with 4-6 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to the assertion that they are too different to get rid of either. It would be like saying I should get rid of Power Grid because I own For Sale and they are both auction games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on where tactical combat games fit into your collection and play habits. For those who play lots of tactical games, there's definitely room for both of these since Memoir is much more teachable and faster to play, with the tradeoff being a very restrictive rule set in comparison to DoA.

If you don't play tactical games as much, this is a more difficult call. It sounds like you mostly want this genre of game to fit a large player count. I would lean more toward DoA in this regard, since relative setup time and shelf space requirements will be smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoire '44 is tactical ? oO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:
It depends on where tactical combat games fit into your collection and play habits. For those who play lots of tactical games, there's definitely room for both of these since Memoir is much more teachable and faster to play, with the tradeoff being a very restrictive rule set in comparison to DoA.

If you don't play tactical games as much, this is a more difficult call. It sounds like you mostly want this genre of game to fit a large player count. I would lean more toward DoA in this regard, since relative setup time and shelf space requirements will be smaller.

If player count is a major issue, DoA II is much more flexible. M'44 tends to want an even number of players, not a requirement, but with three players, the two player side often 'feels' more handicapped than the lone wolf.

DoA II handles 2 to 192 players, but I would stick to less than twenty if possible.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I own, and will be keeping, both DoA II and M'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:

What would you call it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
IKerensky wrote:

What would you call it?

It is definitely a tactical game. Maybe not a real war tactical game, but a tactical game nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
IKerensky wrote:

What would you call it?

Somewhere between Grand Tactical, Operationnal and Abstract.

It doesn't modelise the troups material at all but it concentrate on allocating asset and managing your ressources (cards), the map and units are also definitely at an operationnal scale (even with singular figure).

For me it is more an Small Operationnal wargame than a tactical one. The level of abstraction in the fight support this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You say taxonomy, I say taxonomy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Koehn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If after all this you plan to throw it all away, I caan take it off your hands whistle (this is a joke) (unless you really plan to throw it away whistle but who would do that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.