18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cute but not shallow game - newbie needs help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aimee C

Virginia
msg tools
I am looking for a game with cute, colorful art (not gory or warish with lots of blood, also not a fan of space-themes). I saw Super Dungeon Explore and love the style and art. However, my husband is not a big gamer and is not ok with spending $80+ on a game we aren't sure we like.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It can be card game, boardgame...I'm open to anything since I'm just starting out. There is just so much out there! Minis/meeples are a plus It would also be nice if it could be played solo just in case I can't talk anyone into playing.

If possible, I was hoping for it not to be too shallow... something with more depth than pokemon for example. And it would be cool to have a campaign feel (or growing/advancing characters)- but not necessary, again, I'm open to suggestions to satisfy my cutesy itch. We have little kids so the majority of our games are pretty simple. This is why I'm hoping to find a more in depth game.

Thank you all so much, so far my experience on Gameboardgeek has been awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Cutesy? Not shallow? You want Dungeon Petz or maybe Dungeon Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz is super cute, and definitely not shallow. It's not a game for beginners, though, since it's one of the more complex games we own. Rahdo's Run-Through video might help you decide if it's for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thursfield
United Kingdom
Hailsham
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords is great fun me and my wife enjoy it but it took us some time to get our heads round it and we play a fair few games like Caylus.

For a cute game that's good fun too I'd recommend Steam Park and its not too expensive, we also really enjoy The Pillars of the Earth which is not so cute but is good looking

Good luck and happy hunting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mould
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) is a game that has a rabid fanbase which insists to me that beneath the cheebie (cheeby?) laden exterior is a deep and involved experience. Personally I can't bring myself to take that box to the counter at my FLGS but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carson Dech
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it really only meets your title requirement of cute but not shallow, i still recommend Hey, That's My Fish!. It looks like a cute little kids game ('specially the mayfair deluxe version with the plastic penguins) but its really a simple but cutthroat abstract strategy game. The new Fantasy Flight edition is very reasonably priced, I'm just not sure what the pieces look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is cute, colourful, uses minis, and has a campaign. I'm not sure if it has the depth you're looking for, but it seems to fit all your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cute, not super complicated and campaign? Mice and Mystics

A few of the other games above also fit most of the criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of some games that come to mind when I think of cute/attractive appearance:

Takenoko
Terror in Meeple City
Bombay
Gold Mine
Through the Desert
Tobago
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Hey, That's My Fish!
King of Tokyo
Krosmaster: Arena
Zooloretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prince Adam The Coward
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
How does this work?
badge
Ah, now I see!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Carpet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Seasons. You can try it online if you want to experience the gameplay before purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Silvestri
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Look into SmallWorld-- tons of variation, definitely strategy, goofy/loveable cartoonish art, definitely one of my favorite games. Also easy enough to teach.

**EDIT**: Just saw campaign mode. Oops, SmallWorld lacks that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out Nature of the Beast: Prairie vs. Polar.
The animals are fighting a secret war right under our noses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Shear Panic ? Doesn't really play solo, and there isn't leveling, but it's not a super light game, is pretty beginner friendly, and has crazy nice components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Cutesy? Not shallow? You want Dungeon Petz...

+1 Dungeon Petz

FWIW, I find Takenoko shallow. It's cute for sure. But not deep. Based on that, I think there are better ideas out there for you.

Keyflower

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork

Ginkgopolis - Plays solo!

Horse Fever

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aimee C

Virginia
msg tools
Wow! Thank you all so much. There are some great suggestions here. Plenty to help satisfy that cutesy game itch

I really appreciate all of your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will find lots of good ideas on this "Wolf in sheep's clothing" list. It has a lot of cute games on it. The common thread is that they are quite cut throat, high player interaction games. Most have some depth to them.

I shouldn't look at the list myself though or something will end up in a shopping cart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.