1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM

Subject: proto test01 of panem et circenses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
This will be thread for the playbyforum test of "panem et circenses".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
Game set up;
Initial player order (is only important for the first auction phase):
Galgor (Nikolai), vLipwig (Claudio), Adam, Jythier (Jay, if he is our 4th player).

AUCTION PHASE

I)1) Glory markers added to arena 9, 10 and 11.

I)2
No player owns anything; nothing to pay

I)3) Nikolai auctions the middle 2 school (O14) for $2.
--> Claudio

The game starts with an auction phase. Every player will propose one object to auction. Highest bid wins the object. Then, in the board phase you have to open your arena or school and try to make money. Money is made by sending fighters in an open arena such that the sum of the fighters matches the number of the arena. Money is tight in this game. Glory markers are added at the end of the game to your money with number of markers squared. You can buy other fighters with money or with a glory marker. Each fighter is worth the number it shows face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Just trying to take in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
great. You will learn it by doing; I will comment on the possibilities for each move at least in the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feucht von Lipwig
msg tools
Hi everyone.
I bid 3$ for O14 --> Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some doubts regarding the spreadsheet board when compared to the image:
- Why school at AD6-AF8 is 3 rather than 2?
- Why school at J22-L24 is 2 rather than 3?
- Do school colors on the board image matter? Because they are not reflected on the spreadsheet.
- Why arena at B14-D16 is 9 rather than 11?
- Why arena at R6-T8 is 11 rather than 9?
- Why arena at V22-X24 is 12 rather than 10?
- Why arena at X26-Z28 is 10 rather than 12?

Some more questions:
- What is up with the Senate? Does it have anything beside ability to "pull" [1]s and skip street fights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bid $4

-> Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
adambadura wrote:
I have some doubts regarding the spreadsheet board when compared to the image:
- Why school at AD6-AF8 is 3 rather than 2?
- Why school at J22-L24 is 2 rather than 3?
- Do school colors on the board image matter? Because they are not reflected on the spreadsheet.
- Why arena at B14-D16 is 9 rather than 11?
- Why arena at R6-T8 is 11 rather than 9?
- Why arena at V22-X24 is 12 rather than 10?
- Why arena at X26-Z28 is 10 rather than 12?

Some more questions:
- What is up with the Senate? Does it have anything beside ability to "pull" [1]s and skip street fights?

Hi Adam,
the map has indeed changed and as a friend has the original image, I have not yet uploaded the changes. The spreadsheet map is the one which is up to date.
The map was changed because it seemed that the eleven arena was too far away and the ten arena was too powerful with the two three-schools nearby. Then I interchanged the twelve and ten arena because X26-Z28 can be blocked for the 6-fighters coming from the six-school with the bonus marker "BLOCK" if you do not have the "MOVE 4"-Marker.

The different colors on the image are to easier identify the different schools but do not matter.

Thank you for the questions and I hope we can discuss about the map in more detail after the game.

The Senate cannot be used as normal free field. After a player's turn he cannot have a fighter in the Senate (beside a 1-fighter which will be called "runner" which was placed there in this very turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
I pass.
Adam buys the 2-school for $4.
--> Claudio (to auction something)

updated the spreadsheet. A small letter "a" in the school means that it is not open. When opened replace the "a" by an "A".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feucht von Lipwig
msg tools
Couldn't I have made another bid? But I would have passed. So doesn't matter for now.
3 School at G23 for 6$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
of course it was my fault.
edit: at it is important because there are auction systems where everybode can make only one bid. This is not the case here, because there are situations where objects have different values for different players. In this case in can make sense not to bid your estimation of your private value but something below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
Of course the random inital player order is not the final version. There will be an auction (same style as in age of steam) for playing order for the first auction phase. Obviously it is an advantage being last player in the auction phases. But do not forget that player order will be determined now at the end of each auction phase.

-->Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get licences. What for do we have them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
The number of licences determines the number of figthers / runners you can have on the board. For example if you have three licences and three fighters on the board, your school(s) cannot train anymore, nor can you buy fighters of other players. When you fight (in an arena or on the street) you take the fighter(s) to your personal supply and in the next round of the board phase you can use them. But schools must drill fighters if possible.
Whilst it is possible to win with only two licences it seems to be very hard.

In real life, the licences are represented by dice you move on the board.

--> Adam to bid on the auction of the 3-school southwest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam passes

-> Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
rule clarification: you can give -- when it is your turn (in phase I) to auction) or in phase II) to move) -- your glory markers away and receive the squared number of markers in $ from the bank.

-->Jay

some further playtesting revealed that it is really hard to say who is actually winning the game. Value of objects is changing a lot depending on behaviour of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
bid $7
--> Claudio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
Hi it can happen that we have to wait for Claudio this week a bit. He has to finish some paper, I think. My bid of $7 is already high and I think he will pass. But you never now. So Adam, you can already make your mind about the object that you will propose for the auction. It can be a licence, a school or an arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feucht von Lipwig
msg tools
Thx for stalling. I raise to 8!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe another question then.

When do schools produce fighters? I think I saw it during first reading but now I don't...

EDIT: OK, "FAQ" has it, not the rules. But still I don't find it clear. Only owned and opened schools produce? What if player doesn't have a licence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
Schools train fighters in the beginning of each round in the action phase (it should be in the rules under II)1) ).
You start the game with 2 licences. You cannot lose them. But I see, there is a terminology problem. In real life you have dice as much as licences. Some of them are used on the board. So let us call us dice in your personal supply "free licences" and the dice on the board "used licence".
I suppose your question is: "What if a player doesn't have a free licence?"
In this case, the school does not train. If you have not enough free licences for all of your open schools you choose (in player order) which of your school trains a fighter.

What, Claudio. $8. This is too much for me. I am out. Updated the sheet.
-->Adam (to auction something)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
adambadura wrote:
But still I don't find it clear.

Hopefully there will be clear rules at the end of this game. I have to rewrite the german rules first, then I will translate them. But this will be done at the end because it is still possible that some rules are changing.
But for this game we stick to the rules as written down in the short rule section (if there is not missing something). Claudio knows the rules as well as I do, so I cannot cheat on you
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
Rule clarification: You place a die (runner) in the Senate after moving all other dice (fighters/runners) on the board. So you can use money earned during your move and use a free licence which you gained during this move. This is not possible if you buy fighters from other players, i.e. you cannot fight and use the freed licence or the earned money to buy another player's fighter.
--> Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.