1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » News

Subject: Any GAMA 2014 news yet?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike TheRed

Pennsylvania
msg tools
No one checked in to give us the scoop?!

I'm sure Brenzor's working hard or he'd be here telling his online worshippers what he told the attendees kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here were the notes from yesterday:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15230157#15230157

Quote:
Upper Deck's Legendary Encounters is a complete redesign around the Alien franchise, "not interchangeable, but compatible" with Marvel set.

Upper Deck announces board game based on The Crow, as well as trading cards and minis too. Too early for a date. ‪#‎GTS2014‬

Upper Deck will release a push-your-luck Firefly Dice Game in November. Shiny Dice? ‪#‎GTS2014

Upper Deck announces new Marvel Legendary core set will be Legendary Villains, where you can play as the bad guys. Here in June. #GTS2014

Still another half hr before this morning's press conference starts (10AM-11AM Vegas time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike TheRed

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Thanks much! I dunno how I missed that thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A villians version could be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sad beans. TheDiceTower tweetplied that this morning's Upper Deck Entertainment presentation is supposed to be the same set of announcements as yesterday's.

https://twitter.com/thedicetower/status/446344057522880512

Quote:
We were told it was the same set of announcements as yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope Brenzor comes on here to shed some light. The announcement was spoiled a few days early, and we didn't even get an official word or promo art or anything. We're just kind of left confused, wondering if this will be compatible or not, whether this replaces the legendary big box expansion for this year, etc... Just some concrete facts about this product would be appreciated, especially since March 18th came and went without any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope this doesn't replace the Big Box Expansion. It would be a shame to mess up their expansion release schedule already. That, and the fact that I have no interest in another base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very tough to post from here, as my schedule is totally booked. Will try to provide some info when I can..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Very tough to post from here, as my schedule is totally booked. Will try to provide some info when I can..

I believe it! Also, a review of your favorite Vegas Buffet would be cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's the announcement on the June set:

-A completely re-worked core set
-You will play as villains versus heroes
-All new starting hands
-New wounds
-New Bystanders
- More PvP this time to be thematic with the Villains tone
- This is the June release
- Subsequent expansions will switch between heroes and villains
- THIS IS NOT REPLACING THE CURRENT CORE SET, IT IS SIMPLY A NEW WAY FOR FANS TO PLAY.
-Both sets will exist simultaneously
-Box art attached

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I take it from the bullet that subsequent expansions will flip flop that there is no June expansion to Legendary then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have other games that can give me a more PvP experience and I enjoy the more co-op tone of the current game. I guess likely be skipping it based on the bullet points, but I'll still consider it until I have heard more details for it. Otherwise guess the next thing I can wait for is Aliens. Makes me a bit sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter wright
msg tools
We still need to know just how compatible this will be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Brenner,

Know you are busy and all. Thank you for posting some information. I have two questions.

Can the villains core set be interchangable with the hero set. Can you mix and match the cards?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor - would love it if you be able to address the question of compatibility between the two sets, if any?

EDIT: Double ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I have to admit that I am not really excited by these news. While I am not opposed to playing bad guys (I've only ever played Descent as the Overlord, and I like Chaos in the Old World, for example), for me, it does not really fit the tone of the game. But then, I am also someone who always played Legendary more on the cooperative than on the competitive side, so the PVP-elements are not a real enticement for me, either.

I also would prefer if this didn't cost us a big box expansion for the hero side of things. I'm afraid that this is the first Marvel Legendary box that isn't an instabuy for me, I'll definitely wait until I've seen Rahdo, Rodney Smith or Tim Norris do a few gameplay videos. Which reminds me: Rodney's Watch it Played series was what sold me on Legendary in the first place after being lukewarm about it, so Brenzor, you definitely should send copies to these guys.

But I do not want to end this post on a negative note, so congrats to all the people that had been asking for a villains-game, I know that that wish came up in basically every "What things Legendary do you want to see?"-thread in these forums, and I hope that seeing gameplay for this will make me change my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perron
Canada
flag msg tools
The more I think about this release the more I like it. It may not be the expansion that I was hoping for but if it is compatible with the main game (and I imagine it will be), then it still opens up a ton of possibilities.

Many people wanted a villains expansion at some point anyways and hopefully this will be it, if the villains play like heroes and can be used with the base game it could be fantastic.

My only draw back is the higher price point that this will be as a new core set with all of the starting pieces as opposed to the cost of a regular expansion. Also after shelling out money for more dividers from Upperdeck it turns out I probably won't need them seeing as how this will come with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very disappointed to hear that not only is this replacing a June large expansion, now the Hero expansions are going to come out 1/2 as often. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
So here's the announcement on the June set:

-A completely re-worked core set
-You will play as villains versus heroes
-All new starting hands
-New wounds
-New Bystanders
- More PvP this time to be thematic with the Villains tone
- This is the June release
- Subsequent expansions will switch between heroes and villains
- THIS IS NOT REPLACING THE CURRENT CORE SET, IT IS SIMPLY A NEW WAY FOR FANS TO PLAY.
-Both sets will exist simultaneously
-Box art attached

First off, thanks for sharing the info! As impatient or skeptical as fans can get, I don't want you to think we're unappreciative of you communicating with us. Also, the box art is clever, as a reversal of the first game's box art.

My personal opinion, which is subject to change as more info comes out, is that I am really not happy with this direction. At all. What happens when a Hero is released in the Villain game that isn't available for the Hero game? Or vice versa? We want Thanos as a Mastermind, but oh he's going to be a playable character in the Villain game... and if you try remedying that by having Thanos ALSO as a Mastermind in the Hero game, then people will say "We've already seen this." It creates a no win situation both for fans and the developer.

I appreciate you highlighting that this doesn't replace the core game... except that it does. Previously, it was announced that schedule was one big box and two small boxes for the Legendary game every year. With flip flopping schedules, now its going to be only 2 expansions one year and 1 expansion the next year. The existence of this game reduces the amount of expansions will that come out for the game I already bought, which is a form of replacing.

I hope this is a good game. I hope all games are good games. And I'm hoping I can come around to buying it, because Legendary is probably my favorite board game ever. But as of right now, I'm really, really not happy as a consumer of this particular franchise, and I don't think for purely reactionary reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Hake
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there will be a way to play these core sets against each other.

Imagine a 2 player game where one player (the good guys) recruits Heroes from the HQ and attacks Villains in the City (perhaps /// = cost +2). Then, the other player recruits Villains from the City and attacks the HQ.

You could conceivably have both a Mastermind and a "Head Honcho" out, with Master Strikes shuffled into both decks. Bystanders could be shuffled into both decks, too.

The game ends when the final Tactic card of either the Head Honcho or Mastermind is defeated.

I can't think of a way to allow for escaping Villains/Heroes, but someone else might think of a simple way to include those features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp....looking forward to purchasing whatever the next hero expansion is! whistle

Hope this version turns out to be great and does well for UDE even though it is not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit, I fall into the same boat as well. Unless this introduces some sort of new Heroes vs. Villains set mode where players are competing against each other (as either a hero or a villain) I'm not particularly interested.

I'm especially sad that a game I enjoy is going to be releasing 1/2 as often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I wasn't already committed to Legendary Heroes (via Core + Dark City), I may have seriously considered getting Villians as my starter set. I can't see myself getting both Heroes and Villians as two separate-yet-same games. As I mentioned in another thread, it's like Ticket to Ride: USA and Ticket to Ride: Europe -- I understand why they're doing it, and they may actually improve on the base mechanics of the game with Villians, but it's too late for me. Go on without me, my love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised by the (so far) seemingly overwhelmingly negative reaction to this. There's nothing to indicate that this isn't fully compatible with the existing stuff. The "villains" might be more PVP-ish mechanically, but assuming they are fully compatible with the Heroes, I'm really excited to have a Magneto to put in an X-Men deck, or have Venom team up with Spider-Man and friends. "Heroes" and Villains" are so interchangeable in the Marvel U., theres no reason they shouldn't be fully compatible. And it'll be nice just to have new wounds/bystanders/starter cards to look at.

And hey, hopefully this means I'm closer to getting a Thunderbolts expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably is compatible but things like thanos and captain America teaming up together is not thematic in any way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.