Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title suggests, I can't really see the use for this systems upgrade card.

When do I want to have a Pilot Talent of 0 anytime at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It enables you to move 1st, and if equipped to a skill 9+ pilot shoot 1st as well.

Quite powerful as you can be where the lower skill pilots may want to be and then be able to shoot them 1st as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would ensure you move first, which means you could use it to move with full knowledge of the board position to help with ensuring you get an action and increasing the chance you can block other ships, while you still retain your innate Pilot Skill for shooting order.

Some players think moving earlier is better, others prefer to move later in the turn. This gives an option to those who think moving earlier is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...

Well I'll still take Advanced Sensors over it for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten Numb and the high skill E-Wing pilots can now move first, before collisions occur and still have their actions. Pilot Skill 0 is only for the activation phase, not the combat phase.

You could also give this to an Omicron Pilot Group shuttle with Anti Pursuit lasers and actually have it cause collision damage... even better than the Outer Rim Smuggler can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think it would best be used to disrupt the action denial strategies of Swarms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Ten Numb and the high skill E-Wing pilots can now move first, before collisions occur and still have their actions. Pilot Skill 0 is only for the activation phase, not the combat phase.

You could also give this to an Omicron Pilot Group shuttle with Anti Pursuit lasers and actually have it cause collision damage... even better than the Outer Rim Smuggler can.

You stole my idea! OMG+Vader+Enhanced Scopes+Anti-Pursuit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
posted the same question on the FFG site... yeah i don't know why high skill pilots cant CHOOSE when to move first of not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: Massive assumptions ahead!

There is a rumor that Corran Horn's ability lets him shoot during the activation round. Drop Enhanced Scopes on him and that's a guaranteed range 1 shot that most likely won't be returned.

Imagine:
Corran Horn
-Push The Limit
-Advanced Proton Torpedoes
-Enhanced Scopes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd put the APL and ES on Kagi or Jendon so you have the advantage of moving without being blocked so you prevent action denial, using it to block and hopefully score some APL hits and then still shooting at a decent PS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:

There is a rumor that Corran Horn's ability lets him shoot during the activation round. Drop Enhanced Scopes on him and that's a guaranteed range 1 shot that most likely won't be returned.

Imagine:
Corran Horn
-Push The Limit
-Enhanced Scopes

Hmmm...I have a difficult time believing that. I don't want to use the word "broken" but...yeah...that would be pretty absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: Treat pilot skill as 0 is NOT optional on a case by case basis. Once equipped, that's what it is. Is it ALWAYS better to activate first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostbusterbob wrote:
NOTE: Treat pilot skill as 0 is NOT optional on a case by case basis. Once equipped, that's what it is. Is it ALWAYS better to activate first?

Definitely not. You'd NEVER put that upgrade on Fel (you can't anyway) but with a huge, unmaneuverable ship like the Shuttle, I'd say yes. Why activate later? Most of your activation decisions aren't based on opponent movement anyway, right? (No boost unless you add it and no barrel roll.) Basically, in my opinion, they added a primarily B-Wing upgrade to the Shuttle (Adv. Sensors) and then returned the favor by adding a primarily Shuttle upgrade (ES) to the B-Wing. Of course, this upgrade MAY also be nice on B-Wings so they don't get blocked by Academy TIEs, but honestly, I don't like it more than Adv. Sensors on a B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be in every case. Kinda bad on Boba Fett, for example — his ability is reactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swedge66 wrote:
posted the same question on the FFG site... yeah i don't know why high skill pilots cant CHOOSE when to move first of not...

(1) Because the game's not balanced for that. The game is balanced for low PS to sometimes be an advantage.

(2) If you want a thematic reason, "because all those damn space-noobs keep clogging the lanes"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:

Imagine:
Corran Horn
-Push The Limit
-Enhanced Scopes

Ah, a plot to put Fel's Wrath in the meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put it on Arvel so he could take advantage of his ability vs. lower skilled targets and still get his action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
I'd put it on Arvel so he could take advantage of his ability vs. lower skilled targets and still get his action.

Despite what some of us had hoped, not systems on A-wings(as far as I know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:
As the title suggests, I can't really see the use for this systems upgrade card.

When do I want to have a Pilot Talent of 0 anytime at all?

When you want to move before anyone else. Like if your going to probably bump an enemy if it gets to move before you. Instead of that happening, you move first and they bump you. Its kind of like Advanced Sensors in that regard, sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
And a little "Tech combo" with Enhanced scopes would be Squad Leader - if you wanted a lowly Green Squadron A-wing to have Squad leader in a group with Ibtisam or Keyan - you'd be able to treat them as having a lower Pilot Skill during the activation phase - and thus give them free actions - Could also be useful for Dutch's Target locking, if say Ibtisam first moves into range, then dutch gives the lock... Or lando...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
And a little "Tech combo" with Enhanced scopes would be Squad Leader - if you wanted a lowly Green Squadron A-wing to have Squad leader in a group with Ibtisam or Keyan - you'd be able to treat them as having a lower Pilot Skill during the activation phase - and thus give them free actions - Could also be useful for Dutch's Target locking, if say Ibtisam first moves into range, then dutch gives the lock... Or lando...

That's pretty cool, hadn't thought about this. It would allow a Dagger, as an example, to profit from a Green Squadron Squad leader to fire off a proton torpedo with a TL+focus stack, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Brian1981 wrote:

Despite what some of us had hoped, not systems on A-wings(as far as I know).

That sucks that Arvel can't use it. He is pretty overcosted as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Mu0n wrote:
ravncat wrote:

That's pretty cool, hadn't thought about this. It would allow a Dagger, as an example, to profit from a Green Squadron Squad leader to fire off a proton torpedo with a TL+focus stack, for example.

Though, depending on the build, you might end up just using the veteran card, and taking squad leader and veteran instincts - which lets you both use squad leader with the dagger and keep FCS or something else on the dagger's sensor slot for the same point cost.. (Granted, you've got to use both EPT slots on the green to do that, so if you want a PTL Green squad leader, enhanced scopes on the Dagger works out) (Yay options!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.